1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Caring about your readers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mugre, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Dear Music Friends,

Good writing form and consideration for your reader dictates the good manners of if you are going to use abbreviation and acronyms, that in the first instance you spell it out and then in later references us the abbreviation as you will.

As an example, today in my first perusal of the forum, in regards to the winter build off someone referred to an expiring PTO. Within the context of building a bass or finding time to make a bass, I have no idea what a PTO is.

In another case from today someone mentioned AOS Fenders, I've been around Fenders for about 40 year and own 2. I'm sure it must be one of Fender's plethora of series that come and go with surprising frequency. So despite being an almost daily reader here for several years, I can't for the life of me come up with what AOS stands for therefore the plea for remembering to make sure your readers can understand all that you write.

respectfully,

mugre

Alex Hamilton, dSay, uniinu and 51 others like this.
  2. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue Guest

Sep 29, 2018
    Subbed.

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    PTO means "power take off" on tractors. Not very helpful. Sorry. :D

Bluesbob, El Güero, rd2rk and 30 others like this.
  4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

Caring about your readers
    :thumbsup:

ok. cool beans.

5. juggahnaught

juggahnaught

Feb 11, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    Hazeyhaze, Xansky, Alik and 16 others like this.
  6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Did you ask what the acronym means?

That's what I'd do.

And because I care:
    Here's a list of meanings for PTO, perhaps it's in there.

PTO

And one for AOS...

AOS

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  7. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    HWGA
    This is a web forum, not a scholarly journal. Also, Google is a thing that exists.

8. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    American Original Series?

9. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    DC
    PTO = Paid Time Off. Not bass-related at all, but a commonly known acronym for many folks who receive PTO from their jobs. Some PTO tends to expire in a “use-it-or-lose-it” manner, typically on a yearly basis. Hence the comment about expiring PTO.

A quick Google search for “PTO” yielded the below answer, just to support...
    02DA1526-528F-4223-8ABD-F6ACEDC3AA7C.png

On the “AOS” example, I believe I have found the thread/post in question. This thread is titled Real 63 Pbass vs American Original 60s P”.

The OP (original poster :)) of the thread mentioned above is discussing the “AOS” Fender bass compared to the 63 Fender P. Given the subject line of the thread and the content of the post, I deduced pretty easily that “AOS” is in this case referring to the “American Original” series bass discussed in the post. I will say that I have typically seen American Original Fenders referred to as “AO” rather than “AOS”, so unless the “S” is standing in for “series” or something, no idea on that one.

Hope this helps!

Jackcrow, dkelley, CatchaCuda and 5 others like this.
  10. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
  11. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

12. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    DC
    I did try to suggest the power of Googling as well as using context and reasoning skills to reach conclusions :D

Sort of along the lines of the whole “teach a man to fish” idea, I suppose.
    upload_2020-4-4_17-52-35.jpeg
    ;)

13. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    AOS = Ancient, Old, and Sticky - a Pre CBS Fender that was played for 60 years in smoky clubs, had beer spilled on it, and was never cleaned.

14. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Hazeyhaze, GalleyCat, Xansky and 37 others like this.
  15. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    OMGWTHBBQ?

16. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    TLA's are a PITA IMHO. YMMV.

17. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

The PTO thing is most likely not a reference to the Pakistan Trade Office or the Perdue Terrestrial Observatory. The AOS thing is most likely not a reference to Aviator Oxygen System or Art Of Skateboarding. Other than that... being concerned with your reader's time constraints and level of frustration during a needless sidetrack to search for definitions is indeed kind. Perhaps during these trying times, the few extra minutes of diversion is welcome.

ViaDuck, barrenelly, KJMO and 10 others like this.
  18. Lagado

Lagado

Jan 6, 2020
    Stop the madness
    I had the same problem, until I purchased the SQR7056C TB Term Decoder. TTFN.

dSay, Mark_70, dkelley and 5 others like this.
  19. Nah. It means Parent Teacher Organization.

20. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    here's one:

DILLIGAF