Caring for and owning active pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Brendan, Aug 25, 2002.

1. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey guys, just secured myself some EMG P and J 35's. Unlike a lot of active basses, the pups themselves are active, not the preamp (this is dur for a lot of you, I know).

Which means I can't go active/passive, I get only active. Which is gonna be new. Is there anything I should be aware of with the pups themselves being active, instead of the preamp?

And now the glowering part: Whoo! I just went way up on the totem there. Now, I don't have to worry about the horrible output of the normal crappy Ibanez pups, or the popping of strings hitting pole pieces when I dig in! Plus I did measuring, and I'll be able the affixe the battery box (that's coming with the EMGs) to the control cavity plate with very little strain.

Finally, this bass that I love so much is gonna take a step up from sentimental keeper to workhorse keeper! (also coming in is a new brige!) Thanks to MDogg for the parts, and I'll let y'all know when I get everything up and running.
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    My advice is to date the batteries with a little sticker and change them every 6 months. Or change them Christmas and Independance Day.
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

If your bass had a bridge grounding, get rid of it.
    It brings hiss with EMG pickups.
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the tip Jazz.

Man, I'm stoked about these pups!