Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Caring for and owning active pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Brendan, Aug 25, 2002.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey guys, just secured myself some EMG P and J 35's. Unlike a lot of active basses, the pups themselves are active, not the preamp (this is dur for a lot of you, I know).

Which means I can't go active/passive, I get only active. Which is gonna be new. Is there anything I should be aware of with the pups themselves being active, instead of the preamp?

And now the glowering part: Whoo! I just went way up on the totem there. Now, I don't have to worry about the horrible output of the normal crappy Ibanez pups, or the popping of strings hitting pole pieces when I dig in! Plus I did measuring, and I'll be able the affixe the battery box (that's coming with the EMGs) to the control cavity plate with very little strain.

Finally, this bass that I love so much is gonna take a step up from sentimental keeper to workhorse keeper! (also coming in is a new brige!) Thanks to MDogg for the parts, and I'll let y'all know when I get everything up and running.

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    My advice is to date the batteries with a little sticker and change them every 6 months. Or change them Christmas and Independance Day.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

If your bass had a bridge grounding, get rid of it.
    It brings hiss with EMG pickups.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the tip Jazz.

Man, I'm stoked about these pups!