1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Caring for my new Warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by evelyncarnate, Dec 1, 2006.

1. evelyncarnate

evelyncarnate

Nov 13, 2006
    London, UK
    Ok, so I've had my Warwick now about 2 weeks, and in that time I've barely put it down. I'm absolutely loving it and I'm keen to keep it looking and sounding good.

Now when I bought it it came with all this wax and cloths and things, but I read the manual and it said that bacause it had a satin oil finish it didn't need waxing. But this morning I decided to wax the back of the neck with the wax it came with. It feels and looks good, but was i meant to do that?

Also *anger bubbling* I let the singer in my band borrow it for literally 10 seconds, and later, when I looked at it, there was a ding in the back of the horn!! I'm consoling myself with the fact that it's only small, and it was always gonna happen sometime, but argh! Feel my pain! Anyway I looked on the Warwick website and they advised steaming out the ding then sanding it down, but obviously I can't do that with the satin oil finish.

Has anyone got any bright ideas?

Sarah x

2. jazzy grille

jazzy grille - Arrogant Bastard

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    Go and get an account at the Warwick.de Forum. The admins have a alot of knowledge about these kind of things there.

Goodluck.

3. Creese

Creese

Mar 27, 2005
    FWA
    Congrats on you new Warwick. It will serve you well. (Which one you get?)

Waxing: Natural oil finishes need waxed- Most Thumbs, SS2’s, ‘Vettes, Infinities…you get the picture. But ones with a sealed finish where the pore of the wood isn’t exposed don’t. But if you have the later and like the waxed feel, by all means wax the blazes out of it. Like you, I wax my SS1 just cuz I like it (and it seems to help with that sweet satin finish)

As far as your ding goes- I’d learn to live with it. Like you said, it was bound to happen sooner or later but look at it like this: If you try and repair it, you’d stand the chance of farking it up even more and then how upset with yourself would you be?

4. evelyncarnate

evelyncarnate

Nov 13, 2006
    London, UK
    Thanks guys, good advice as ever!
    It's a Warwick Corvette $$... it's the sweetest thing I ever played :)

5. Dincrest

Dincrest Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I wouldn't wax a colored finish. The wax can have a detrimental effect on the color. However, for the neck/fingerboard I keep it conditioned with Gerlitz Guitar Honey. (Yeah, I'm a Warwick guy. I have a 1997 Corvette Standard active.)

Here's a thread on the Warwick.de forum that answers your exact questions. The original poster has a DoubleBuck too.

http://www.warwick.de/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1590&start=0

And, yeah, the first ding is always the hardest. But Warwicks are built like tanks.

6. JBass1

JBass1

Dec 6, 2005
    NYC
    i dont even play my warwick...i use it in battle.....for body armor....

:ninja:

7. I got buckle rash on my Warwick a week after I got it thanks to my over zealous generosity for letting someone try it out. Satin finishes are EASY to ding, it'll just have to be something you accept.

8. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    That's why I never tuck in my shirt when playing.........:p

9. I have 2 battle scars on my bass. The belt rash it got in the first week, and my ring slid off my finger due to me losing some weight and dinged right in front of the neck pickup.

Both were in the first week, since then nothing has happened. Almost a year and no new dings, I guess your first big ticket one is a learning experience. Not only how to take care of such a bass, but also how to cope when it gets hurt.