Caring for the neck on my Jaco bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jacostilllives, Aug 2, 2004.

1. jacostilllives

May 4, 2004
    I posted this in my last thread but i dont know if anyone got it..i need help with making sure my jaco pastorius bass stays in good condition..are you supposed to re-epoxy those necks ever?? please help :help:
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well if you follow what Jaco actually did to his basses, you might : leave it outside in a basketball court, throw it in the bay at Tokyo, jump on it from a great height, every night....etc. etc. ;)
  3. appler

appler Guest

Maybe you _should_ think about that epoxy! :D

In reality, it helps protect the fingerboard if you're using roundwound strings for a long time.
  4. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Some Pedulla fretless basses have a polyester coating on the fretboard. Mike recommends recoating when it wears through to the wood (or sooner, obviously). He has pricing for a recoat on his web site. I doubt that he would work on something other than his own brand, but it may be worth an e-mail. Maybe he can refer you somewhere.

Good luck!
  5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

he also throws his bass ten feet into the air and then catches it. he must have dropped it a couple of times.
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Mike will polyester coat non Pedulla fingerboards, too. At least when I called him, he said he would. Call him for a quote, if interested. I am moving this to Setup.
  7. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Well, I was wrong! Someone here is selling a USA Lakland Joe Osborn fretless that was coated by Mike Pedulla. You learn something everyday... :D