Caring For Your Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheNerdBass, Jul 5, 2005.

1. TheNerdBass

Jun 30, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    When you get a new bass, should you lock it away in a case every night? I have heard this from a lot of people but I don't know if it really helps or not.
  2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    When you play you sweat, when you sweat it gets on your bass.
    There were no "gig bags" back in the day, just hard cases. IMO, those cases locked-in the damaging "juices" which cause oxidation, pitting and rust. I recommend wiping your bass down with a Microfiber Polishing cloth after each use and get a good quality gig bag for it to sleep and travel in. The rest is common sense, i.e. don't leave it in direct sunlight, the car, the cold, the rain, etc.!!
  3. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    and never,never leave your strings without lubricating oil,thats its so crutial,for your strings live and for your fingerboard.
  4. I can't stand that stuff on my strings. Not sure why you think it's crucial, but OK.
  5. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Personally, I try to wipe down my bass/strings/hardware with a microfiber cloth every time after I'm done playing. I didn't with my Yamaha that I had, and the gold hardware started oxidizing (not cool). Other than that, I always give it a really good cleaning when I change the strings (oil the fretboard, get the parts you normally can't reach, etc.). Other than that, ALWAYS bring your bass inside. Weather is rough on guitars, I can't stress that enough. I usually hang my bass on a wall, or on a stand to let it "air out."
  6. My bass is always out, sitting on a chair in the living room, plugged in and ready to go for when I get the urge to play. Psychologically, I find that the more I leave a bass in its case, the more likely it is to stay there.
  7. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    almost for me is very important,i hate this oxidate strings,16 hours without lubricate them and you can see this ugly brown color(rust) in the strings,and when you try to play your bass your hand is sticky because the strings are very dry,i use lubricating every time,when i start to play and when i finish.
  8. Hounddog

Dec 2, 2004
    Southern, Illinois
    Sadowsky Featured Artist
    Funky Tune,

What are you using for sting lubrication ? Is it just the normal string eaze that comes in the spray can or is it something special ?
  9. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    lowphat, I keep all my basses in their hard cases at home (well, my pricey ones anyway). I do wipe them down before putting them away, though. I don't like them travelling in gig bags, I guess I'm paranoid about bumps and bangs. And I wouldn't leave them on stands at home for the same reason.

Haven't noticed any problems so far, but you've really got me worried now! Surely hard cases like SKB and Hiscox aren't actually hermetically sealed when closed? Have you ever had any problems with a bass's hardware corroding that you're sure was caused by it being kept in its case?
  10. I have. I had a guitar I kept in a case for 3 years without touching it, and when I pulled it out, all the chrome had corroded and pitted. Fortunately, it was a collector's item and I sold it for a small fortune on Ebay, pitted chrome and all ;)

Nowadays I don't keep any of my basses or guitars in cases at home. I bought one of those big Warwick guitar racks and keep them on it. Been doing it for a couple years now and I haven't got any more problems with corrosion or rust.

Also, gig bags totally rock for carrying your stuff. No, you don't want to bang into a wall with a bass in a gig bag, but you get a good one and under regular circumstances I think it does just as good a job protecting your bass as a hard case, plus it weighs a fraction of what a hard case does.
  11. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Funnily enough, one of the main reasons I like hard cases is I find them a lot easier for getting the bass out or putting it away. Weight isn't really an issue for me.

I haven't really got room for a guitar rack, although I've thought about one before (and hangers). I think what I'll do is keep them in the cases but make sure each one gets opened frequently - they generally do anyway - for an "airing". I know you can get little bags of desiccant material to put in the case and absorb moisture from the air, but I've heard a completely dry atmosphere can in the long term damage your instrument just like too much humidity can, so I don't think they're the answer.
  12. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    i tend to put in a couple bags of silica gel.
  13. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I don't do anything for my bass and she still plays like the day I bought her (well over a year ago) =/
  14. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    I wipe down after play with fast fret, and ring a cloth round the strings and go up and down so it takes off most the dirt, when changing strings i would apply lemon oil to the fretboard, and most likely wax the bass aswell..

As for storage, it would depend where i am, at my dads i wouldnt put it on a stand because of the amount of dust in that place, in one day there would be about 2 weeks dust build up on the bass! so i leave it in my softbag.. same as for the otherplace.. dust isnt a problem, but i dont have a stand there..

And i generally just feel more secure when its in something rather than on a stand where it could be knocked over or bumped (like someones said)
  15. maverick

Mar 8, 2005
    London England
    i keep my bass out all the time. she sits on a stand when i'm not using her. i find if i put her away then she won't get used. as for cleaning, she gets a good dusting and polish once a month. she got neglected for a long time, locked away in a bag on top of a wadrobe, but i have her back to her original state now and she's not going away for any reason! she's now 25 years old and she doesn't look her age!!
  16. i dont really do anything. nethers of my bases go in a case unless its being taken somewhere.

they tend to be in my room plugged in. my strings dont get rusty and the bass still plays the same.

its all about personal prefernce and how often you use your bass i supose. i use mine every day. just do what you feel happy with.
  17. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    This work fine for me since 8 years ago,my strings have more brilliant sound,they are very easy to tune,they stay in tune and they are very smoth to my fingers,also the fingerboard remain claen because this product protect your fingerboard like armor all in your tires,test it and tell me.

18. I have always left my basses in on the floor stands, and its worked out pretty well for me. Havent had one knocked over yet. I think its pretty safe as long as they're in a corner out of the way of foottraffic.

Its also good to have your family know that you're not kidding when you say you'll kill them if they hurt your instruments. I mean, I love my family and all, but I really love my bassses :mad:
  19. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 on that. Heat and cold are hard on stuff, direct sunlight in a closed car kills.
  20. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I don't do anything to my basses. I leave them out on stands ready to play. I never wipe them down after playing and I've never lubricated the strings. They still play and sound the same as the day I got them.