1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Caring for Your Hands?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Being and Bass, Dec 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    When I was a concert flautist the state of my hands was never an issue, so I never noticed how hard I am on them. I always have a few scratches and at least one band-aid holding something together and just never gave it any thought.

As a bass player I find I lose at least one day a week of playing because my hands are in such a bad state (and winter makes it worse). From clipping my nails too short to callouses splitting open and I always fighting my hands to keep playing. When performing I have split a finger and just kept going (thank goodness I was playing a solid-black bass) but for practice I don't have the same endurance.

Any advice? What is your care regimen, or do you just play through the pain?

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I don't have a care regimen or pain aside from occasional joint soreness due to playing for 35 of the last 45 years.

Is your skin falling apart just from your bass playing, in which case you need to examine your technique and setup, or from other things you're doing?

3. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    It is just from life. I've always been hard on my hands and they fall apart whether or not I am playing bass (it actually helps some with the callouses!). I live in Northern Canada so my hands are constantly in hard use.