1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Caring for your rig during/after gigs and parking lot safety.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by FingerDub, Feb 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I live in a questionable neighborhood. I sometimes have to re-key the deadbolt on my garage door, because someone gets into the backyard at night and tries to jimmy the lock. I have had dents in the big door, from someone trying to gain access that way. And yet, I do need to store some gear out there. All gear is under tarps, with junky looking stuff piled up on it, so no one SHOULD know its there. There are bars in the windows, except for the one that's completely boarded up. Deadbolts and tarps, and sometimes my German Shepherd is prowling out that way. You never know when that might be.

I have a lot more gear in the house. You would do fairly well there, if you get past the dog, assuming I'm not home. I'll protect my stuff with a 12 gauge in the home, not because my stuff is worth a human life, (it's NOT,) but because if you're in there to commit crimes, you are a threat to MY LIFE, and since I live there, my life is worth MORE than your life, strictly ON THE PREMISES, and not out in the world. (although it's still worth more to ME)

I have insurance on all the gear I own, so yeah, I'm not bringing the 12 gauge to the bars, and I'm not a conceal/carry guy, as far as you know. I would never shoot a fleeing thief, or point a gun at someone to get them to obey me.

This is all just random observations about myself, and not an attempt to engage any of the various posters who have commented on similar things.

2. True. If you ever have to use it, it'll be a lot harder to convince the cops it was self defense if you're over the limit. And my idea of over the limit is gonna be aLOT different from the cop's opinion...

OK. done preaching to myself....

3. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Loads of touring bands have had trailers stolen while at a hotel or travelling. That's a bad situation, especially if the haul included cash, merch, passports, or other important documents. It seems to happen quite a lot across the US. Not sure if it is common in more civilized nations.

EdO. and Johnny Crab like this.
  4. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    I understand if you don't want to answer my question, you're certainly not obligated to do so.

And I am not assuming anything about your actions; it is a hypothetical situation in which "you" (not you personally, but the generic "you") has already pulled the weapon. My hypothetical situation, my conditions.

I'll be glad to answer your question when you've answered mine. Thank you.

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Damn, Talkbass is hella violent. The idea of responding to a petty property crime with extreme violence and potentially murder is absurd to me. This also appears to be a nice way to work around the "no gun" discussions rule.

6. ShadowImage

ShadowImage Guest

Jan 12, 2016
    Welcome to the USA :thumbsup:

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  7. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    That's about what I'm paying per year to cover all my gig gear.

8. QweziRider

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    I cannot speak for every state and their laws, but in every state I'm familiar with, absolutely NOT. You can only shoot to stop the threat when you, yourself, are physically threatened. Shooting because of theft of property will get you in a world of legal hurt.

Jimmy4string likes this.
  9. QweziRider

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    Actually, in many states, you would be. Brandishing. Not a good thing to do in most places. If, however, you happen to be legally open carrying and the culprit happens to see it in your holster and skedaddle....

10. QweziRider

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    It is absurd. But protecting yourself from other violence while loading in the dark is not absurd.

TheBear likes this.
  11. Well, here in Texas a criminal never knows who might be carrying. It seems to work to our advantage. Eh?

TheBear likes this.
  12. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    I hear you. We have to do what we have to do. I'm in a similar situation with bars on the windows and lots of people loose in the street most days. I've called the police twice since I lived here and both times got transferred to some pan-township switchboard because nobody was available down the street to answer the damn phone. On both occasions nobody showed up.

I've eschewed the "conceal carry" thing even though here in PA you can pretty much do whatever you want as far as firearms go. I'm just not comfortable with them, especially with a toddler in the house. The reality is that unless you are extremely fortunate to have a base of musical operations that is not in your house, you gotta figure out how to keep your gear safe. Bummer that the world is this way.

13. FingerDub

FingerDub SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2016
    First, petty theft is like shoplifting. PETTY. Being able to potentially take 3K or more in one haul is robbery. Are you seriously advocating just saying..."OK mate, go ahead and take my stuff and run off and I'm not gonna do anything"??. There has been little gun discussion here, and it was only in the context of what people do to protect their rigs. More than one person here has been the victim of a theft, and it's real world situations.

I also imagine that you are that IBTL guy, the forum police. Nothing has been out of control with regards to guns, and it has remained in context.

TheBear likes this.
  14. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

How many people do you know that have been violently mugged while unloading? Do you think other people are just waiting to rob you around every corner?

If it all about perception, why not carry a show piece instead of an actual firearm?

You're right that it isn't petty theft but my point was more that you are responding to a non-violent crime with violence. That is not an appropriate reaction and, in almost all of the Western world, would actually constitute criminal behaviour. I don't think that it is an appropriate response.

As far as what would I do if I caught somebody stealing my things, I would call the police and get as much information as possible. This person isn't walking away with all this gear, they have a car. I would make some attempt to stop them but I am not about to maim somebody over property. Additionally, you are more likely to get yourself injured if you start picking a fight with a robber than by merely scaring them off. Contrary to what several here have suggested, most robbers are not there to cause you harm, they are looking for an easy theft and, therefore, they are easily scared away. I can think of several homeowners in town who were violently assaulted because they decided merely scaring the robber away wasn't enough, they had to go get some vengeance.

As far as me being "the forum police", I am not but I think that rule serves a purpose and has prevented a lot of nonsensical arguments from happening on this board. The idea of a gun in the two situations we are discussing would have done nothing to help a person. Having a gun in the context of the OP would have contributed nothing. It does, however, allow people to voice their opinions in favour of gun ownership/gun control laws.

Mr_Moo, Jimmy4string and Shadoof like this.
  15. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    I've been burgled. I've had the house broken into and valued items stolen. I've had stuff stolen from my car. I've had stuff stolen from the stage, although no basses or amps.

People steal. My goal is to watch out for those folks, make it obvious that I'm watching out for them, and take simple steps to reduce their crime opportunity. My life is not threatened by theft and I would not threaten to use or use deadly force to stop it anymore than my family full of cops would.

I might hit them with a carrot-orange Squire P bass, though. With a red tort pickguard.

16. I've heard the phrase "Who's turn is it to sleep in the van?", way too many times in my life!

Jimmy4string and Old Blastard like this.
  17. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Montreal, QC
    I did a fill in with my old wedding band awhile back, and since my departure, the BL had apparently decided to start carrying a gun to gigs. He was doing it legally, but it was funny to me considering most of our gigs were at country clubs and high end hotels/event spaces. We never had any theft incidents while I was in the band, and there hadn't been any after I left. But there he was, proudly displaying it in the dressing room.

If I were still a member, I would have quickly resigned the moment I found out there was a gun traveling with us.

Mr_Moo and VoodooJazz like this.
  18. QweziRider

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    Your first question, one, a dear friend. Murdered, in fact. Your second question, not in every situation, but most assuredly at least one place I play regularly over the last decade. I choose to not be unprepared and not be the one that was murdered.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  19. QweziRider

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    In spite of where our conversation was heading above, you and I agree completely on this. It's where physical violence can enter the equation where we might differ.

20. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I'll have to go back and read from the beginning cuz it appears i might be missing a pi$$ing match!

Anyways, we usually keep all of our gear in a designated corner or backroom where only the bands playing have access. One of us usually keeps a good eye on things at all times. After we load out, mine either goes directly home or to the rehearsal space close by. I have left my v4b & 410 in the car overnight before, but i always cover it good. Car prowlers around here seem to be more interested in things they can carry and use like loose change, ciggs, headphones, etc