1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Caring for your rig during/after gigs and parking lot safety.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by FingerDub, Feb 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. deathness

deathness

Jan 19, 2015
    BKLYN
    Ha! Well, since I'm a solo artist (and I might doing my first tour this summer) looks like I should think about making a comfortable spot to sleep in the vehicle!

2. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    And you'll understand that I can't answer a hypothetical that contains a condition in which I'd never find myself. You're welcome. ;)

3. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Load out as a group and never leave any gear in your vehicle over night unattended.

DaveDeVille likes this.
  4. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    At a show in the Big City our drummer went to get his van but somebody took it. At least his gear was safe in the club..;)

Mr_Moo, Old Blastard and twinjet like this.
  5. I had some friends in a pretty large local band that had their stuff locked in a small enclosed trailer secured with a padlock. Crooks snipped it off and made away with a bunch of vintage guitars. Including one vintage original style Geddy Lee Jazz bass from the 70's. man it was a sad day. They never left their equipment in a trailer again...

Mr_Moo, TheBear and Old Blastard like this.
  6. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    OK, in my hypothetical, you're having an intelligent, well-reasoned discussion on an internet message board...

Bassman Spliff likes this.
  7. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    So, you're not involved in this scenario? ;)

Bassman Spliff and Old Blastard like this.
  8. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Depends on the State. In Texas, for example, the answer would be yes. In Oregon, the answer would be no. I don't know about the others.

Bushrod Johnson likes this.
  9. ...because that's a very quick way to an early grave. You don't draw on someone unless you're prepared to fire. Maybe they'll run and you won't have to, but you can't count on that.

Obviously you have no tactical training whatsoever. Eh?

TheBear and ak56 like this.
  10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    QFT.

ak56 likes this.
  11. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    On topic, I usually play cheapo stuff at gigs, so if it gets stolen it's really no big loss. Besides that, 90% of the time I'll unload when I get home, the other 10% of the time I'll pull the car in the garage and unload the next day.

12. Hambone 70

Hambone 70 Guest

Sep 21, 2012
    Lots of great suggestions here.

IMO, it all boils down to basic common sense.

DiabolusInMusic and EdO. like this.
  13. Canadian checking in... guns, lol. Not even a second or third or fifth thought here.

I understand the American gun mentality though, it's 200 years of revolutionary society. Canadian head shaking aside, it's what made America the strongest country in the world.

14. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

We are talking about a late night alley robbery here which, more often than not, does not involve any weapon, let alone a firearm. Do you intend to try and quick-draw on them when they walk up holding a gun? Or do you intend to wait until they pick up your gear and fill their hands before you shoot them? The former seems like a great way to get yourself killed while the latter reads like murder to me.

15. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure that was imperialism but that is a totally different discussion that I don't think we are allowed to have here.

16. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    It's not a second or third thought for me either. I've met exactly one musician who admitted to carrying a weapon on a regular basis.

There's no coherent "American gun mentality." Some people like guns, others don't. The gun movement that we're in the midst of today is no more than about 40 years old.

17. TheBear

TheBear Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    This is too good of a thread to get shut down over the discussion of guns, hopefully we can get back on topic soon. As a trained gun owner I understand why they're pertinent to the subject but it's not worth this thread being closed due to a discussion that could better take place via PM's.

Back to the OP, something that occurred to me last night after a show. regarding loadout; gear placement after the show is critical. We wrapped up our last set and before we left the stage to go mingle we packed up our instruments and set them behind our amps at the back of the stage. One could even go a step further by moving pedalboards on top of amps as well. The idea here is that we kept our instruments out of sight and not immediately accessible, and an unpacked pedalboard is a bit awkward to unplug and carry without anyone noticing.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  18. I was merely commenting on your suicidal suggestion regarding using a "toy" weapon to scare off a perp. Eh?

19. DiabolusInMusic

And I was merely pointing out that a gun wouldn't have done crap in the situations we are discussing.

20. Aahhh... the benefit is sticking with old school gear... basses are last out the venue and will be left safely inside with the bouncer or inside. We take turns standing outside to watch gear if it's necessary. My cabs and amp I'm willing to leave if I know I can be quick. If you can grab and run off with my gear you have earned it - close to 100Kg in 3 separate, awkward components. Good luck.