1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Caring your bass around when it snows.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Aged_Clayman, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Hello TB.

Well, it`s cold hear. Really cold and it`s weird, since the average temp here at winter is 15C. And now it`s just on thrid of it at best.
    The problem is I still have to rehearse and still want to jam and that means packing my bass and going out into the cold white.
    Is it safe for the bass? What temp is a definite nay? Should I get a thicker gigbag? Any stories of why not to go out in winter?

Thanks,
    Clayman.

2. bigthemat

bigthemat

Jan 25, 2008
    Salt Lake City
    my worry is slipping on ice and falling on my butt with the backpack straps in use.

With wood, just be careful about going from one extreme to the other. I have heard many horror stories about wind instruments, like this one clarinet player who just got a brand new buffet wood clarinet. He was walking to the bus stop, in the cold winter, and was outside for a little while. He gets on the bus, and puts his clarinet on the floor right next to a heater. Needless to say the crack was so bad he had to buy a whole new joint, it was completely unrepairable.

Moral of the story, don't defrost you bass with a hair dryer or anything.

3. Yup, let the bass warm up slowly. If it's outside for a long period of time, let it sit in it's case for a good long time before opening the case.

It's not so much of a big deal with a poly finished instrument, however it will crack a nitro finish.

4. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I live in MI where negatvie celsius is the norm. It's no big deal. Just let it warm up and you'll probably have to retune. I'm more worried about slipping than anything.

5. I think I hate the hassle of loading and unloading my car after practice more than anything. Fortunately it's usually just one bass, a pedal board, and maybe a "gig bag" with some extra strings and accessories in it (which usually just stays in the car during practice). The worst is with snow and ice on the ground. The other night, I set my bass and pedal board down so I could close our fence gate, and the pedal board fell over into the snow. Had to use a towel to dry it off.

6. As said, just give the instrument time to acclimate to the new temp in its case...the case acts as an insulator so it warms up slower than an initial shock from cold to hot....

You'll be fine. And, what GoldenBoy said about finishes.