1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carl Factor 6 Fretless

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Jisch, Mar 22, 2019.

1. I just got the remaining hardware in to start on this - a six string version of the Carl Factor.

Wood specs are the same as for my build off bass - walnut/maple neck with walnut/anigre/walnut body with wenge and padauk accents. Tiger maple fingerboard with padauk/wenge accents.

I'm using a Nova bridge again - the one on the fiver works great, good bridge at a good price.

Norstrand pickups and preamp - buyer specifications, I've never used either before.

All I have cut so far is the starting of neck stringers, but I should have it done by Monday, Tuesday at the latest :-D
    20190322_094525.

2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    :roflmao::laugh::D

3. I didn't realize how wide this sixer neck needs to be so I came up a bit short on the width. I went to the depot and got the one perfectly straight board. There were a couple of nicely figured boards there, but they were pretty twisted, so I reluctantly put them back in the rack. The outer stringers are too thick here, but it looks good, all parts are straight, I'll glue it up in the morning after cutting those outside stringers.
    20190322_180729.

tbrannon and Matt Liebenau like this.
  4. Neck blank fresh out of the planer. I love seeing a fresh neck blank with nothing but possibilities ahead.
    20190324_080435.

Beej, JVando, rojo412 and 2 others like this.
  5. 5tring

5tring

Sep 16, 2018
    UK
    Can’t wait to see this happen

6. JVando

JVando

Jul 19, 2010
    New England
    I have a wife, and she sometimes lets me see her naked.
    I second that!

Jisch likes this.
  7. Rôckhewer

Rôckhewer Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 28, 2015
    Mesa, Arizona
    Owner/Builder- RockHewer Custom Guitars LLC
    +3
    (3rd) :D

Jisch likes this.

8. Motion is passed. Is there any other new business? :cool:

S-Bigbottom, Jisch, 5tring and 3 others like this.
  9. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    I could use some help with some yard work... ;)

Reedt2000 and Beej like this.
  10. my yard is still under snow (though rapidly melting).

11. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    You're a madman! For that, I am eternally grateful.

Jisch likes this.
  12. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    You gonna put frets on this one?

13. I got the neck all laid out and routed for the truss rod. I'll lose most of the lines I put on, but I like to see where everything lands before I start cutting. There have been plenty of times where I thought I had it all figured out only to find something off.
    20190324_145748.
    I'll go back and check my work on the other lines before I start cutting more stuff. I like to let it sit overnight and re-calculate everything. Having just finished the other one it's pretty easy to conceptualize what needs to be done, the last one had me thinking a bit.

Beej and Matt Liebenau like this.
  14. No, I'm building this as a commission, the owner wants it fretless. I'm fine either way, but fretless is easier to build for me.

Reedt2000, gebass6 and CatchaCuda like this.
  15. Veto! :smug:

Reedt2000 and wraub like this.
  16. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    awwwww....

Reedt2000 and Matt Liebenau like this.
  17. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Well yeah.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product on Wednesday! :roflmao:

(Also: jealous that your local HD carries maple. :cautious: )

18. I verified my measurements and cut the drop into the neck, then finished it off with a router plane. Maple maintains a nice sharp edge, ouch, sliced my finger pretty good just handling the neck blank. 20190325_084620.

19. I got the wings glued up, anigre in the middle, walnut in the back. I'll chamber and route out the control cavity before they glued in place. The walnut on the back is a bookmatch using the same wood as is on the front of the first Carl Factor. I lined up the edges and pinned them in place with sheetrock screws before putting them in the vacuum bag.
    20190325_120203.

JVando and Beej like this.
  20. Wings out of the bag, they look good. Off on a business trip for a couple days, more on Thursday. 20190326_081405. 20190326_081337.