1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carl Martin Bass Drive Effects Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Rollin Thunder, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Rollin Thunder

Rollin Thunder

Mar 20, 2017
    tube driven pre amp pedal, anybody got or had experience of one of these, like the look of it and would not mind a tube driven sound. any help.

2. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I had one and liked it. No real complaints, other than the size and power requirements. I sort of miss mine. I had a Two Notes Le Bass for a while after the Bass Drive, and while I appreciated it's features, and two modes, I thought it was more scooped and modern sounding compared to the Bass Drive...which is a good or bad thing depending on what you're after.

Rollin Thunder likes this.
  3. kat888

kat888 Guest

Oct 13, 2015
    It really depends what you are trying to do. If you want golden caramel overdriven tone, you need a proper valve amp (output stage + transformer). To approximate that in a stomp box, you are possibly better off going for a solid state simulation, as IME you may find a 12AX7 pre sounds like angry bees. YMMV.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  4. Rollin Thunder

Rollin Thunder

Mar 20, 2017
    looking for that tube vintage drive. my ashdown amp head has a built in tube drive simulater which is pretty good but looking for a bit more. got standard distortion in my pre amp pedal and and a big fuzz so just looking for a box that does the vintage overdrive really well, like this or the ampeg pre amp and scrambler.

5. kat888

kat888 Guest

Oct 13, 2015
    My advice, try before you buy ... and you may get closer with a Blueberry, Barbershop, VT Bass ... or maybe a Darkglass pedal. I was running a 12AX7 pre into a Class D head and it didn't sound quite right. When I replaced them with an all valve head, everything fell into place.

6. Rollin Thunder

Rollin Thunder

Mar 20, 2017
    really like the look of the blueberry, dark glass are all good but really expensive.

7. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I agree that tube power amp distortion is the best, but this pedal definitely doesn't sound like angry bees IMO, unless you try for that. I've owned tube power amps, as well as the Carl Martin Bass Drive, two of the Swell tube pedals, and the Two Notes Le Bass, and none of them are cheesy buzzy things. YMMV. I agree that the Barbershop sounds great. I haven't owned the others. I have a Darkglass B7K that I'm about to sell...good pedal for modern stuff, but I don't think it's the best for this vibe.

johnk_10 likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 10, 2021