Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carl Martin vs. Analogman Clone Chorus Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassmanbob, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I want to get a really nice chorus pedal. I've heard nothing but great reviews on both the Carl Martin Bass cChorus and the Analogman Clone Chorus.

Well. What do you think of one vs. the other?

BTW: Is the Analogman Clone Chorus the same as the Analogman Chorus? Or is there a distinction between the two?

Thanks, Bob

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    haven't tried the Carl Martin, but have and love the Analogman Chorus/Clone Chorus (it's all the same thing). He makes several types, regular size, bi-chorus, mini chorus but the underlying circuit is the same.
    I use the mini analogman because I love it, the small size is a nice bonus for a tight pedalboard.
    I've tried a bunch of Carl Martin pedals before, and they've always been great - but the combination of me being so happy with the analogman and the extra size of the CM means I'm unlikely to ever try the CM out.

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    David - is your chorus with the deep mod? I seem to remember someone telling me that this mod is pretty much essential for the chorus to sound great on bass.

4. DavidM's is with the Deep mod hardwired.

5. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'd suggest trying both... I personally found the Analogman to be too 'subtle' for my taste (mine had the 3-way toggle switch) and recently sold mine. I prefer both the Fulltone ChoralFlange (my favorite) and the EBS Unichorus. Don't know about the Carl Martin...

6. Analogman chorus too 'subtle'!?!?!? - Man I just ordred mine and I'm waiting for it right now....

That thing is supposed to be the Rolls Royce of Chorus pedals I thought?!?!?!!?

must be a typo ?!?! I see everywhere on these boards that that pedal is hands down the best, absolute god of chorus pedals! no?

7. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've never thought the analogman subtle, but different strokes for different folks.
    I personally found the ebs kind of anaemic sounding to my ears, I liked the fulltone a lot but the Analogman is more my type of chorus

8. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Don't get me wrong... I liked the Clone Chorus a lot, just prefer a couple others. Nice warm-sound and simple to use... can't get a bad sound out of it. I simply prefer to have a "wetter" chorus (maybe that's a better word than "subtle" here) at times. I emailed Analog Mike about installing a wet/dry blend and he said he could do it, which would allow you to boost it above the stock 50/50 blend, but chose not to pursue this as it would be a trim pot inside the pedal, not a knob on the outside.

Try it and decide for yourself whether it's your Rolls Royce... if not, you can sell it for probably near what you paid for it.

9. any thougths on the MXR M-134 Stereo Chorus ?

10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    +1

This is the one that I want to get. I know that Richard Bona uses it. I really like the controls on it.

11. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Em:

Why specificly that chorus pedal? What is it about the sound that sets it apart from all others?

12. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    No experience with that one, sorry...

13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    To be honest man, I've not heard it. I just like what the pedal offers for controls. I'm headin up to the new musictoyz.com store soon to try a bunch of stuff out. That one's on my list. I've got a couple of other pedals to get before this one though.

14. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It was fine, but didn't sound as lush as the Clone or ChoralFlange to my ears.

15. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    yea i read that richard bona also uses it and yea he has a wonderfeul tone but if richard bona used a boss chorus or even a dod i bet he would get a great tone as well, maybe you won't!

16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Please understand, I'm not interested in the pedal because Richard Bona uses it. I'm interested because of the options that the pedal offers. Oh, and I have a Boss chorus here and my tone is great. ;)

17. LoGruvz

LoGruvz

Apr 11, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    The one chorus pedal I have always gone back to is the old brown Boss CE-2B (made in Japan not Taiwan). You can pick them up on eVilBay for about 30 bucks - I think they sound great.

18. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    Having just stumbled upon this thread...I have two favorites: DLS Chorus/Vibe, and the Visual Sound H2O. Very different animals. The Visual has a special sweetestness to it, and can subtle. The DLS is closer to the TC sound, and very well thought out. You can adjust input and output levels, and it works with either polarity. It's also amazing in stereo.