1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carl Martin vs. MXR

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by glassmoon, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Hi all.

Opinions please: Carl Martin compressor or the MXR compress? I currently use the CM and I'm super stoked with it, but I'm also aware that it's a generic pedal and not specific to the bass guitar.
    What do you guys think. I love the small form factor of the MXR range instead of the Carl Martin blocks...but that's just aesthetics on my board. ..

Help please :)

I know effects are a personal taste thing...just need some informed feedback. Thanks.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Is your Carl Martin the black one with a power cord or the blue "classic opto" one?

The MXR has brighter high-frequency extension than the blue CM and much more than the black one. The MXR also has great multi-led metering, and is "true bypass".

The MXR has had some production problems, apparently, because a number of people have bought ones that are noisy or faulty in some way. But there are plenty out there with no noise or faults, so it's a question of luck at the store.

The old black CM is built very reliably. The blue one is more average quality.

The MXR and the black CM have similar action, although the MXR has an extremely short attack time. The blue CM is a bit smoother.

3. @ Bongo: it's the classic CM, the black one. I've actually just come back from my favourite music shop where I A/B'ed the MXR and the CM. I have to say that as much as I loved the MXR, I couldn't honestly justify the bucks I'd need to outlay. The CM is stunningly transparent and does all I need a compressor to do. I guess the dreaded G.A.S. nearly got to me.

I must admit that if someone asked me for my recommendation I'd more than likely be inclined to suggest the MXR. Inasmuch as the CM is totally satisfying, the MXR is nearly perfect for a pedal compressor.

Thanks so much for the input. Great response mate...