1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

CARL THOMPSON 5 (Let' s Try Again)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by E.Z., May 9, 2006.

1. E.Z.

E.Z.

Apr 18, 2003
    OK, You Guys,
    I did NOT mean to offend anyone by asking what you would PAY for this bass in my previous post. I wasn't looking to start an auction here, simply some input.
    I have had the bass for a number of years and would like your opinion on what it is worth, as I have no clue.
    If there is a better forum for this inquiry, let me know, and I'll take it there.

Bass: 36" scale, with extended tail piece.
    5 string bass
    set neck
    EMG p'ups and EMG bass expander

Take a look : http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j74/ezorrilla/?sc=5

2. Wow. Nice specimen. Not sure about the market for used CTs, as they seem like kind of a niche item, but I'm sure you could fetch $2-3 grand if you could find the right player. That's one of the nicer ones I've seen though.

3. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    Post that on ebay; you'll get more than anyone would ever offer here. The last legit CT I saw on ebay....

c2_12.

...went for $7,455.

Send your bass to me for free. PM me for my info.

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Never listen to any advice from anyone who doesn't know anything about the Carl Thompson market. They occupy a strange space in bassdom and fetch ridiculous amounts of money, whether they are worth it, or not. Kinda like Gibson custom shop guitars.

If you put that thing on eBay, you'll make a killing. And, if you are willing to sell overseas, you'll probably make even more.

5. Emperor Elite

Emperor Elite Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2004
    New Jersey
    \
    I agree with the advice to ebay it. Your bass would get the widest exposure there. Your bass is worth at least $5,500. You would have a wider market if it were a 34" scale bass, but that notwithstanding it is still a desirable piece. Hope this helps.

Ben

6. Popular opinion is insane.....:scowl:

7. I've heard that many of the ebay buyers/bid winners of CT basses are in fact foreign.

I've kept track of multiple CT's sold on ebay, and I'd more times than not, the basses never end up being sold because people bid, win, and decide to not pay, or the seller doesn't want to deal with a foreign sale, so I would say that ebay is not the best evaluator worth.

I personally know a person near where I live that sold his CT for 3K-4K when it was all said and done after a few ebay attemtps that finished between 5K and 6K. It's pretty tough to find a buyer for a bass that expensive. The worth of the bass is only as good as the amount of people willing to pay that price.

8. NAZ

NAZ

Mar 4, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    That is a very nice bass you have there!

9. King V

King V

Dec 13, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I agree with Ben, to Ebay it should go. Also contact Aaron over at ctbasses.com to see if he will list it in the For Sale section of the site. I believe he usually does this for free.

As far as the bass itself, it's certainly not one of Carl's best tuner placement jobs....but nonetheless it's still a very attractive piece, and should fetch a price in the $4k to $5k neighborhood. IMHO of course.

10. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I few things I've listed on TB that didn't sell, sold for more on ebay. That's not to say that's the best outlet.

11. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    If you post on ebay, a Carl Thompson fan will most likely be one to pick it up. A non-CTer won't understand why your bass is going for $5k+, and they won't think to spend that amount of money on some fancy shaped wood. Also, I think the 36" scale will be more appealing, because, assuming the majority of your bidders are CT fans, they know the value and advantages of a long scale bass because they know how Carl feels about them, and they trust Carl's experience as a luthier, and they know he knows what he's talking about when he makes instruments. You'll have no trouble selling that on eBay for much more than you'd think.

12. Well im in Australia and we just don't get the opportunity to pick up a bass like that very often. E-bay definately opens you up to the international market. I can only really buy something like that from e-bay....Very rare in a shop or private sale over here.

On the topic of what its worth, I would trade my mom in to get my hands on that bass.... PM if your interested.

13. That is one of the best looking CT's that I have seen.

lowsound