Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carl Thompson Bass for sale!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pulseczar, Feb 15, 2006.

1. pulseczar

pulseczar

May 7, 2004
    San Jose, CA
  2. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    This was posted in the classifieds a while ago, actually. I wrote the guy and got this response:

3. CBBass123

CBBass123

Oct 18, 2005
    Texas
    Nice...very nice

4. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    It's a beautiful bass. it's amazing how light even Carl's 6-strings are.

5. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Maybe it's just me, but I do not find Carl Thompson basses the least bit attractive.

I know the man is an icon and I'm sure that the basses play and sound wonderful, but I think his designs look like a Jr. High wood shop project. :eyebrow: I am not talking about his craftsmanship - that looks to be first class, I am only commenting on the design.

Please understand that I take nothing away from those who like his designs - more power to you, be happy and enjoy. I just think they look a bit unrefined.

If I have offended anyone, I am sorry, It's just my opinion and I tend to voice it from time to time.

God Bless.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

+10

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Nah. I'm with you on this. But I must say that this one is considerably less ugly than many others of his.

8. GSRLessard14

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    Everyone's a critic. :smug:

9. I agree somewhat.... some of his basses, although most assuredly of the highest caliber, just don't really do it for me aesthetically. however, i think that some of them are the most beautiful basses in the world!

[​IMG]

this one maybe because it's Les'
    [​IMG]

though Carl is without a doubt the master of the scroll. wow!
    [​IMG]

10. EduardoK

EduardoK Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Have you already sold this bass?
    How much are you asking?

11. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    You should read carefully, this aint the classifieds forum.

12. jordanm

jordanm

Feb 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    You mean I can buy a used instrument for the price of a used one? Sweet!

I personally am a big fan of CT's shape and design qualities. But it seems like this guy is just putting it out there to see if he can get some money for it. Not that there is anything "wrong" with that, as long as he is honest about it. Just not something I am a big fan of :rolleyes:

13. GSRLessard14

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    What are you talking about? If you're not playing an instrument, you're going to put it up for sale because you want money for it. You can be sure Trip isn't going to be gaining anymore than he spent to have the bass built.

14. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Ive heard great things. Would love to play one at a gig. Dont really care for ship body shapes but to each their own

Rob

15. I love his bridge tail pieces.

16. I've been checking that website for like 3 years now and this is the first time I've ever seen one for sale. I'm writing an email. I know I can't afford it, but I at least have to ask how much.
    Hey, my birthday is this weekend...wonder if he's in a generous mood....

17. I've been checking that website for like 3 years now and this is the first time I've ever seen one for sale. I'm writing an email. I know I can't afford it, but I at least have to ask how much.
    Hey, my birthday is this weekend...wonder if he's in a generous mood....

18. alansan

alansan

Mar 12, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    Wonderfully idiosyncratic basses imo. Would love to try one.

I find the overblown reverence and general 'we're-not-worthy' tone of the seller a bit hard to stomache though.