Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carl Thompson bass prices

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shandon, Apr 22, 2003.

1. In November I'm planning on getting "my" bass, my main bass, I am a collector, and a fan of Les Claypools. Now I don't want Les' bass but I've heard of the famous Carl Thompson and how he handcrafts his basses (for Les). I was looking for a nice 6 string fretless either by Carl Thompson or an Alembic but I haven't been able to decypher which I'd rather have. I know the price range for an Alembic, but the Carl Thompson is something I can't get a price list for. Any help???

2. I'd suggest going over to http://www.ctbasses.com, if you haven't already--it's sort of a semi-official site, with lots of CT fans. I really don't think there's anything like a "price list", though folks over there could certainly give you a ballpark figure. From what I understand, you're also looking at a waiting list of a couple of years if you order a new one.

Mike

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I don't think you could get one for less than $3k, and it goes up from there. And yes, the wait is verrrry long.

4. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Years in fact.......:rolleyes: . I think last I heard 2 1/2 years was about the standard wait time and it goes without saying, the more bass(6-string) the longer the wait and the bigger the price. Geshel is'nt kidding:bawl: about the $$$$. Also any bass through Carl will be most likely built with a minimum 38" scale, since he feels thats the best scale length for his instruments. Even a 4-string:eek: .

5. well everyone, I'm not worried too much about the price, but the wait is what annoys me, I am very impatient

6. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I personally think I could deal with the wait:meh: . Though where I think my problem would occur is dropping a $1500.00 deposit on a $3000.00 bass and then having to wait close to 3 years to see any product for my money. Alot can happen in 3 years. On the other hand....Perfection takes time and you get what you pay for:D .

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
  8. Sweet...with a wait like that, I just might be able to afford one by the time it is finished.:D

9. I'm liking darrin's work

10. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Darrin is currently building an instrument for myself (as well as others here) at this time. I can not say enough awesome things about him or his skills. He's a great guy just to know and talk with, much less having build a bass to last a lifetime for you.:cool: :)

Amen.:(