Carl Thompson bass prices

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shandon, Apr 22, 2003.

1. In November I'm planning on getting "my" bass, my main bass, I am a collector, and a fan of Les Claypools. Now I don't want Les' bass but I've heard of the famous Carl Thompson and how he handcrafts his basses (for Les). I was looking for a nice 6 string fretless either by Carl Thompson or an Alembic but I haven't been able to decypher which I'd rather have. I know the price range for an Alembic, but the Carl Thompson is something I can't get a price list for. Any help???

2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I'd suggest going over to http://www.ctbasses.com, if you haven't already--it's sort of a semi-official site, with lots of CT fans. I really don't think there's anything like a "price list", though folks over there could certainly give you a ballpark figure. From what I understand, you're also looking at a waiting list of a couple of years if you order a new one.

Mike

3. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I don't think you could get one for less than $3k, and it goes up from there. And yes, the wait is verrrry long.

5. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Years in fact.......:rolleyes: . I think last I heard 2 1/2 years was about the standard wait time and it goes without saying, the more bass(6-string) the longer the wait and the bigger the price. Geshel is'nt kidding:bawl: about the $$$$. Also any bass through Carl will be most likely built with a minimum 38" scale, since he feels thats the best scale length for his instruments. Even a 4-string:eek: .

6. well everyone, I'm not worried too much about the price, but the wait is what annoys me, I am very impatient

7. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I personally think I could deal with the wait:meh: . Though where I think my problem would occur is dropping a $1500.00 deposit on a $3000.00 bass and then having to wait close to 3 years to see any product for my money. Alot can happen in 3 years. On the other hand....Perfection takes time and you get what you pay for:D .

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
  9. Sweet...with a wait like that, I just might be able to afford one by the time it is finished.:D

10. I'm liking darrin's work

11. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Darrin is currently building an instrument for myself (as well as others here) at this time. I can not say enough awesome things about him or his skills. He's a great guy just to know and talk with, much less having build a bass to last a lifetime for you.:cool: :)

Amen.:(