Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

carl thompson bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rawdogg360, Jan 2, 2006.

1. rawdogg360

rawdogg360

Dec 31, 2005
    new jersey
    does anyone have a carl thompson bass that there bored of?

2. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    I still have about 2.5 years until i get mine, but i can tell you that the answer is no.

3. rawdogg360

rawdogg360

Dec 31, 2005
    new jersey
    He's sped it up a little spoke to him last week I think he said he's crankin them out in about a year...

4. GSRLessard14

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    Really? That's awesome. Is he making one for you? What did he say exactly?

5. I thought Carl was retiring!? If he plans to stay in the business, I'm gonna have to contact him. Not that I have $5,000+ to lay out for a bass, but I might have it in a year or 2.
    @Rawdogg360---I assume that your post implies that your getting CT made for you. How does he work the payments? Do you pay him up front? When it's finished? Installments?

6. GSRLessard14

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    You need to give him a deposit of about $1500 or 2 grand for him to get started, and he'll get started when he can.

7. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Lucky you pointed that out. For a minute there I was contemplating emailing you my essay on the Brothers Karamazov for proof reading.

8. He's not done making them, he's done taking orders.

-ryan-

9. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    That pretty much says it all.

10. I retract my previous post.

-ryan-

11. Demens

Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    That sounds like an interesting read, actually... What did you write it over? And more importantly... Did you enjoy the read?

12. GSRLessard14

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    Focus.

I'm dying for Carl to call me with an update on my bass... i wonder if it's going to take less time for all the basses he's currently got on his plate, with the new help. I wonder where they came from. Does anybody know any info about the new lines of basses carl's making? I know they're going to be lighter and slightly cheaper, but how does one go about getting one of those? Call and ask for one from the cheap line?

13. Moreau

Moreau

Jan 3, 2006
    Canada
    Carl wont be calling you. Not to say he wont, but its unlikely, unless ur bass is ready. i hear hes pretty busy. You can call him, and hes quite nice on the phone, but dont call looking for small talk or just to poke around. post on ctbasses.com and im sure one of the guys will answer your question. Ive been waiting a year so far, and its still another one too at least haha. but yeah ctbasses.com should help you with any questions.

14. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

Originally Posted by www.ctbasses.com - Carl Thompson FAQ
    9. Is Carl retiring?
    You most likely heard from Mr. Les Claypool that his was the last bass Carl was making, but that is not in fact the case. Carl has talked about retiring for the past several years, but at this point in time he has no set plans to do so in the immediate future. This does not mean that Carl will not retire tomorrow, it just means he is still taking orders and hasn't set a date to quit. Keep in mind that even if Carl were to retire today, he would still have to work for over 2 years to finish the basses on his current waiting list. Bottom line? Carl isn't retiring, but DO NOT wait to order your bass, it may be too late by the time you do.

I played one back in the seventies and I thought I died and went to heaven....the action and neck were perfect...
    but I didn't much like the sound...Don't know why...It didn't speak to me sonicaly.. :confused:
    and now I just can't bring myself to spend five grand on a bass...call me cheap :eyebrow:

15. I did a search and hearby resurect this thread.

I was listening to primus for the first time in probably 4 years today. And honestly, I think it's one of the worst bass tones I've ever heard. To describe it (this is my opinion of course) .. it sounds so vapid to put it succinctly. Granted I have no idea what Les does with his EQ, but his technique is severaly different from most so it's hard to imagine what they sound like normally. I'd want to hear other CT basses being played but no one seems to have them... am I missing anyone else that uses CT that I could hear? I see Victor but he usually records with his Fodera, I checked CTbasses and couldn't really find anything in terms of other artist recordings of CT basses. Anyone tell me or direct me to another thread I may be missing with this info on it??

16. demon666

demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    I have 2 Carl Thompsons both have EMG pick ups one has a 36" scale what do they sound like? any other bass that has EMG's in it you'll like it or hate it. Now how do they play and how do they feel? Amazing to me but again it's all personal preference. It's a gamble for sure I'm just glad I got to play mine first and that I found them used and cheap would I order one from Carl yeah if I had $5000 I could spare and could be frozen for 2 years and thawed when it was done because I wouldn't be able to deal with the wait. I've waited about a year and a half for my custom King Doublebass it ships next week I can't wait

17. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    It's definitely unique. Tons of mid, which in turn makes tons of fart.

18. I recommend you record your bass (soon to be basses).

19. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I managed to get an order in by buying someone else's deposit who was waiting and needed to get his money back. The offer to sell the spot came up on the ctbasses.com forum.