Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carl Thompson Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Petary791, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Does anyone know where I can buy a Carl Thompson bass? Preferably a 5-string with darker wood.

Also, does anyone here own one? What do you think of them?

http://www.ctbasses.com/

2. Yeah there are a few people on here who own them. They are extremely expensive and rare, thanks to les claypool. From what I have heard, the newer CT's aren't worth the giant wait time and the price, but then again, that is just what I have heard. I am not sure where a good place to find one would be, so I guess I am not much help, but you really need to look alot, and be willing to spend alot. They are tough to come by. And you can't be picky with what you want in them really, if you find a ct for sale and you are looking for one, i'd jump on it no matter how many strings, fretted or fretless, body woods, whatever, I would just jump on it if you found one if a ct is what you want.

3. Rapscallion2112

Rapscallion2112

Apr 21, 2004
    Detroit
    Im constantly on the Carl Thompson board (assisted living dracula)...and this question has been asked many times already

sorry dood but carl stoped taking orders sometime around last christmas...something like that....they pop up every once and a while on the For Sale section of the CT site...Ebay....or look for years through guitar shops....

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    NO!!!! Oh well. My friend is a guitar tech and he loves Les too. He says he's gonna make his own body style. It won't sound as good and play as good but it'll look cool lol!

BTW, I like the name. The Last Superpower. :cool:

5. Rapscallion2112

Rapscallion2112

Apr 21, 2004
    Detroit
    the question is...how many basses has your friend built? cause let me tell you...its not as simple as slapping together a few pieces of wood...routing out holes for pups and that deal....if you like CT's look at Darrin Huff's basses....let met tell you...HOT (a fretless sixer from him is a GAS actually)...I've never played one...but check him out....i think you'd dig it.

www.dhuffguitars.com

btw..thanks...not many people dig that song...but its gotta be my favorite..ha

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Those are sweet, but MAN THAT'S EXPENSIVE! I'm just a poor high school student needing a job other than teaching a couple guitar lessons once a week. :p

7. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    How much do you think a Carl Thompson will set you back?

8. Your child going to Harvard?

9. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    darrins basses are a great deal for what they are. Ive said it before and ill say it again, hes hands down the best custom builder around IMO. Ive seen cheap CT's going for around 5 grand and up. Darrin is the best bet unless you wanna wait around for the perfect CT then end up paying probably about 5 times as much as you would with darrin making the same thing for you. Ive played 2 ct's and wasnt super impressed, especially for the price.

10. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    www.eshenbaughguitars.com

Mark Eshenbaugh, like Darrin, is a "student" of Carl's and an EXCELLENT builder, IMO. If you went with either, or Mike Browne, for that matter, you'd be a very happy bassist.

I have an Eshenbaugh 4 that is one of the finest examples of modern lutherie today.

Me so happy..... :hyper:

11. user_name

user_name

Jul 22, 2004
    I used to own a CT, and it wasn't worth the wait or the cash. I waited 4 years and it played like a pig. I have one of Darrin's basses right now and it is perfect. A fraction of the cost of a CT, 3 times the bass. Darrin or Carl for that matter aren't making a killing on these basses, the rate of production is so low the actual money in pocket by the end of the process is not a lot.

12. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Carl Thompsons are WAY more expensive.... WAY, WAY more...

USED AND BROKEN IN HALF, With TOXIC A$$ DRIP ALL OVER IT.

13. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Your post reminded me of this: :)

[​IMG]

14. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.

I get that a lot.....?

15. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    Don't take this the wrong way....

If someone sold/bought a CT bass to/for a high school student, I would think it's grounds for justified murder. I could be wrong... Not saying that a high schooler can't be skilled enough to used a high end product, but I know that being young you're a magnet for misfortune. CTs aren't Fenders. You break one and that's one less CT bass in the world...

I also believe that, like cars, you should buy your own in high school. It teaches responsiblity and builds character. That's why I only have one nice bass and everything else I own it utter garbage :p I can't afford to drop thousands of dollars on gear, so I make do with what I can get.

16. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Maybe I'm mistaken, but didn't Les get his first CT when he was in his teens? I'm sure they were cheaper then. I seem to remember reading an interview where he said he played it in a guitar shop and fell in love with it. The next day he came back with his mom and bought it.

;)

17. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    Yea... and how many high schoolers that play bass turn into Les Claypool? Nothing burn my ass like four foot flames and little wankers that can't play bass have better gear then I do :p

18. I own the TOXBOX!!!

Trauma, oh the love

19. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    wow CT's are pretty pricey, you must be a rich 14 year old!

...Not saying that age is a deciding factor, Jon Reshard was younger than 14 when he got his first Fodera... but he could burn straight through 'Donna Lee' before he was 10!!!

The only one that I have played in the ATL area was pretty basic, still over $4k and owned by Colin, the bassist from Live on Arrival.

Petary791, chat with Dave Siff, I remember he used to have a 1977 CT a while back. He could give you an idea of what it was like.

20. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Hey guys, thanks for all the replies!

I'm saving up for soo much bass stuff right now... it's like a drug.:(

And I understand what you guys mean by i'm just a high schooler.