carl thompson basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basserman44, Dec 15, 2000.

1. does anyone know how much one will run you? not used, but a new one made to my specs. i've always kinda wonderred. i dont need an exact # but ballpark would help.thanks

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't know the exact price, $4000 - $6000, but he only builds about 6 - 8 a year, and is getting pretty old.

So, I guess the question is, depending on how far back ordered he is, would he get it built before he passes on?

I know that sounds crass, but you have to decide if you want to wait 2 or 3 years for your custom dream bass, and take into account his age as well.
  3. VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    you can always buy a used one. I wish they could crygenetically freeze Carl Thompson. Or make him immortal.
  4. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    For a standard 4-string bass(no frills)he charges $4500 dollars used to be $3500 but went up in the last couple of months. he's backed up about 1 1/2 years so expect a long wait, but on the good side he'll usally accept half the cash upfront. I've got his number if your interested at all. Also try checking out this maker if you got time does similar body styling to Carl's.