Carl Thompson for sale on the 'bay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vox Populi, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
  2. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    "case available, but not included"
    sheesh...what a doink.
    for the kind of money that thing's gonna sell for, i would expect a friggin' reacharound, much less a case.
    oh well...some folks need a nap, i guess.
  3. M.D.S.

Nov 8, 2004
    :eek: Since when?
  4. WJF

Aug 1, 2005

hahaahaha, absolutely!
  5. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    I still believe that CArl is still making basses. That sure is a beauty though, Iv'e always enjoyed his combination of awsome woods and odd shapes.
  6. mbulmer

Nov 25, 2002
    Feeding Hills, MA
    Carl "officially" stopped taking orders at the end of '04. You might be able to get him to make you one if you ask really nicely though. At least that's what I've heard. He does have enough instrument orders to keep him building for the next couple of years though.
  7. Ego

Jan 10, 2004

i'd beat someone to a bloody mess for a CT four string
  8. Wayner

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    Why the **** would anyone pay 8k for a bass with EMG pickups?

Im sure CT is a great luthier but for 1/8th the money you can buy a used Alembic ......
  9. It looks like a high-quality Wishbass.

I never saw the attraction with these basses other than the (silly) Les Claypool factor.

To each there own, however. :rollno:
  10. Have you played a Wish and a CT bass? I have not had the oppourtunity to play either, but from the reviews that I have read, pics I've seen, and the owners I have spoken with; the difference in quality between the two is massive. Of coarse not having ever played either myself, this is purely speculation, but I would be willing to bet that if you were to play both basses you would not have the same opinion.
  11. I'm sorry dude. I *certainly* was not comparing the 2. I was talking mainly about the styling. It surprises me how some people are drawn to a styling nature based on the name on the headstock, and some are appalled by a styling...... Based on the name on the headstock!!!

The price tag also raises a few eyebrows. I dunno. To each there own.

Sorry for the confusion.
  12. Okay, you serisously just made me choke on my soda, serisously...

But yeah, what a douche, I would definately expect a damn case for that kinda skrilla.

Yes, CT is done taking orders, I think Claypool made one last order just in the nick of time too.

Yes, Alembics are SUPER nice, but you know what? They're no Carl Thompson... Just like an SX is no MIA Fender, almost apples to oranges my man.

13. Ahh, no worries man. My confusion. Very true statement too, although I don't think that really applies to Wish or CT basses. Personally I like some of the shapes that Wish has but they just look like they were cut out with a pocket knife. If he used the same lines with a little more accuracy and percision I think they would be much more accepted. I think people just don't like seeing instruments that look like the builder just didn't care enough to take the time to cut them out right; even if that is not the case.
  14. Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    Before I really knew anything about bass I saw (what I later found out to be) a Carl Thompson bass, and fell in love with it. The style and flow of his basses is so awesome (in my eyes). Just makes me want to play some crazy funk, or crazy anything.

Not really anything to do with the brand.
  15. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Um, I've certainly had my share of wacky tobaccy over the years, but did '05 end and I missed it? Or did Carl actually stop taking orders in the future and my powers as a seer failed me--again?! I'm so confused!

Just kidding. I'm going to assume you meant he stopped taking orders at the end of '04, not '05...

2004, that is. Not 1904... Or 1804...

Or did he...? Could he...? You don't think...?

Oh God.

Has anybody seen my water pipe?

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Ummm.... I am not the biggest Alembic fan, but I have played 2 Carl Thompsons, and probably 35 - 40 Alembics. CT's have a certain charm about them, but the two that I played were not in the same league fit & finish wise as an Alembic Series I or II. Or any other Alembic, except for the Epic.
  17. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Those headstocks are so awesome. :bassist:
  18. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I like the look of CTs. A bit eccentric, but I think they look cool. Never had the chance to play one, however. So I couldn't really make a judgement.
  19. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I don't know if it's MY style, but the bass has got some style for sure. I dig the plain fretboard, basses without pick guards look great without markers IMO. The lower horn looks like something that I would break, but I dig the built-in stand below the bridge.
  20. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    The bass is cool, but not $4.5k cool. And then there's the seller--39 transactions, of which:

3 neutrals
    4 negatives

Hmmmmmmmmm. Not my ideal seller feedback profile, to be sure.