Carl Thompson gets the 'Ugliest Bass Ever' award

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Every1TookMyName, Jun 1, 2001.

1. Sure, THE MAN plays one, but they're the ugliest things I've seen. I hate the little curly thing at the top of the horn.
    This is the only picture of a decent looking Carl Thompson that I've seen, but the curly thing has to go...
  2. I once saw an indie band's bassist using an older CT. It looked like something out of a bad film adaptation of Tolkien.

3. if not mistaken, i think dave siff has got one.
  4. Whats his user name? (I'm kind of new here, sorry)
  5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    his user name is dave siff, and his bass is very cool. do a search on CT and his name, you'll find a pic.
  6. Ewww you're right, I'm a HUGE Claypool fan, but I really don't care for the design Mr. Thompson uses. Some of them are ok, but most (especially the "Battle Basses") of them look bad. Oh well that's what you get for originality.

PS I LOVE the Rainbow Bass.
  7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Don't like Carl Thompsons?

Don't buy one.

'nuff said.

Actually, no. If a CT is the ugliest bass you've ever seen, you haven't seen enough basses.

NOW 'nuff was said.

8. I actually think Les Claypool's bass looks really cool, a lot better than some of the Carl Thompsons that I have seen.
  9. Which one? I really dig the piccolo.
  10. I loved CT's way before Claypool had one. I think it may have been Stanley Clarke I first saw playing one.
    smith plyr likes this.
  11. I don't see the ugliness....Hell if I could afford one, I'd have one.....
  12. davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    i don't give a %$@# how they sound in my hands, they sound f'n great in the right hands... no matter how they look.

yeah, you're right, i can never play like them, so what...

13. [​IMG]

hey, if you find something ugly about these basses, just let me know when you find one, and i'd gladly buy it...
  14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    My only complaint about Les's 4 string is that the bridge pickup is right against the bridge. Do you think there's enough string vibration for it to match the signal of the neck pickup? I'm guessing that pickup's really high.

15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    He doesn't own a piccolo anymore. The former piccolo was made into a standard tuning in like 92.
  16. les smashed the headstock into somthing, and he had carl turn it from a 32" to a 34"... see... look at the old vs. new.

17. Its the curly 'thing' at the top of the horn! Everything else is okay about it, and I'm sure they sound great.

...but if you took the curly thing off they'd look like those new Ibanez's...
  18. Muttluk, is that even the same bass? I mean, the colors are different.
  19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Dave, are you out there?

I have never had the pleasure of playing a Carl Thompson, but there are enough players that I respect who swear by them that I am sure that they are one of the finest hand made basses out there.

They do have a different look, but then 90% of everything out there looks like a Fender derivative, and it's nice to see something truly different besides a BC Rich.:rolleyes: