Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carl Thompson Insanity?¿?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 7Stringer, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yeah, that's a wee bit too pricey, to say the least. It's fine to say something is a collector's piece, but he doesn't even talk about what condition it's in.

Oh yeah, and wouldn't Carl be the 'Stradivari' of basses?

2. I think you could do even better than that.

That does seem very overpriced. I would expect a bass like that to sell for many thousands (5 or 6), not tens of thousands. Oh well, if he finds a seller he can buy himself a pretty nice car. I would personally wait the two years or whatever it is before spending that much though.

Geoff

3. there's a four string on eby right now as well. reserve's been met, and it's at 3,000 bucks (the strating price for a CT straight from Carl.)

just in case anyone's interested.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2563284238&category=4713

(i do think the six-string's going for way too much cash; but someone might actually be willing to pay that much. if not, it'll probably be back up for less dough. and as for it being "one of a kind"- all CTs are one of a kind; since they're custom hand-made instruments, and Carl refuses to duplicate his own work for anyone, i don't think it should be disputed that it's one of a kind.)

4. he just registered his ebay account yesterday also. he just registers and then tried to sell a bass for 21K? i'm located in the area.. i asked him if i could see it.

5. :eek:

Just :eek:

You could have a fine car or even a small house for that price!

Once again, :eek:

(Looks like a very fine bass though.)

6. a small house? a small house where i live costs 6 times that. i would like to move where you are. :)

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Come to Cleveland; there's a bunch of tiny houses for that price here.

8. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
  9. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Damn man, that is really rediculous... On his website they are like in the $1500 to like $8000 dollar range. Les Claypool would probably think that is outragous, and he owns like 6 or more.:rolleyes: ;)

10. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA

I noticed that too, right off the bat.

I wouldn't trust this at all.

11. i contacted the seller, and he said he would be out of town for the rest of the week. he wanted to make sure i actually had the money before he let me try it. "don't waste my time" he says..

:eek:

12. Well Carl isn't selling it himself. And thanks to Les they are legendary.

So 2+2=too much money.

Probably one of the best things you will ever play in your whole freakin' life though!:bassist:

13. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    CT's were legendary way before Les.
    I would say Stanley made them more known back in the day.

14. Good point, but you must admit, Les has put them way out there.;)

15. hanales

hanales

Jul 12, 2003
    Youngstown, OH
    Interesting, he told me that tomorrow he would send me actual current pics of the bass.

I emailed Aaron over at CT and he said that he knows the actual owner and will find out if that person is selling it.

--marc

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Maybe to those who didn't know about them before Primus;). Carl has been at the top of the heap for decades.

Wonder if this guy takes cashiers checks?

17. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I lived a few blocks from Carls shop in Brooklyn for 15 years and got to try a bunch of his basses. As I remember the high end price of his instruments was in the $8,000-10,000 range.

18. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    :D :D :D

19. egb41

egb41

Mar 26, 2003
    U.S.A OHIO Columbus
    Oh yeah i'm gonna rush out and send 21k to a first time ebay seller!:eek: