Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carl Thompson Knockoff

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Petary791, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So since my hopes and dreams of getting a CT bass has been shattered (prices=eek,) can I purchase a knockoff or can somebody build one or something?

Thanks! :)

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah I was reading that, but when I say knockoff, I mean like, at least under $1000. :bawl:

3. Szipmonk

Szipmonk

May 11, 2004
    NYC
    I think you're out of luck unless someone else wants to chime in on this one. Best to save up $$$$

4. I suppose you can ask steve wishnevsky to build one for you :meh:

5. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Settle for a shirt. That's what I did until I got over wanting a CT.

6. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    the point of a carl is to do things like crazy laminates and curves that dont come on cheaper basses. You probably wont find even something simliar for under a grand. Your only hope is for finding something that plays simliar. Try a carl out and just see what you like about it and try and find a bass that plays simliarly.

7. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I hope I'm not being too blunt here (I appologize if I am), but is the purpose of the contemplated new bass purchase to get a bass that looks neat/unusual/like a CT, or is it to get a bass that may be superior to the one that you currently own...better nutwork, better fretwork, better setup, better playability, improved tone, more versatile tone, made from higher quality woods, hardware, etc.?

If the goal is to get a bass that has a certain look, forsaking all else, then that can be accomplished with relative ease. There are builders out there who will copy any design (or will build anything you can sketch on a napkin) and won't charge an "arm and a leg" to do the work. However, there are not many skilled, competent, experienced, and accomplished builders who do not expect to be compensated for their work, just like any other professional expects to be compensated for his or her work, regardless of the profession.

If you really want a bass that looks like a CT with the upper horn scroll, multi-body laminates, etc., do some searches here on CT basses, custom basses, and do some more genearlized searches on the web and you should be able to find a good number of builders who will build you the bass of your dreams at dream-like prices. :) :bassist:

8. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Really, you should talk to Jay at Blueberryhillbass.com, and spec out an Eshenbaugh. Mark builds basses that have the flavor of Carl's work, and does a phenomenal job.
    Jay's a really great guy, will give you a great price, and can help you design what you're looking for. It ain't gonna cost you 1000 bucks, but for around 2000, you'll get a bass that others would charge 4-5000.
    Yes, I'm THAT sold on Eshenbaugh's basses. And yes, they're worth it. I have one! :D :bassist:

9. I'm gonna have wish make me a MTD knock off... :hyper: :bassist: :hyper: :bassist:

oops... :eek:

...:bag:

I'm joking...really...I'm JOKING! :scowl: