Carl Thompson on Ebay.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rubo, May 3, 2005.

1. rubo

Aug 25, 2003
  2. I know Im gonna get slammed for this, because I know CT basses are well liked, but that kust looks like a glorified Wish Bass to me.

Sorry Les.

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    I love how people put a $4000 + bass up for sale and make a point to let you know that it has new strings. "You know, I wasn't gonna buy that Carl Thompson, but now that I see it has brand new elixirs on it how can I afford NOT to buy it?" Funny stuff.
  4. wolfe

Apr 2, 2005
    yeah thats not a good looking bass but i bet the sound makes up for it...Anyone got 5K got laying around they wanna give me? :D
  5. The only one's I've really like are Claypool's.
  6. i like CT basses but this one isnt very nice looking
  7. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Would look much better with 2 pups.....

And a kahler trem :)
  8. si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003

actually, i thought the same thing when i saw this.
  9. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Another bass that looks like that particular Carl Thompson (at least in shape.)

Still, I like the look of that Ebay CT. It's the CT shape without the rainbow woods. I like the rainbow woods, but this simple clean-lined look has its own appeal to me too.
  10. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    looks like carl fell asleep while burning the logo into the headstock plate.

/with mouth full

"run boyyy ! run for your lifffffffe ! "
  11. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    dont know why and i have never played one, but i look at CTs with indifference.

give me a Nordstrand or Ritter any day though...
  12. +1
  13. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I'd only get one because Les Claypool plays one. :D I think it looks like his fretted 6 string that he uses on the Brown Album and Antipop and those albums (the not Rainbow Bass.)

I'd rather have a Dhuff.
  14. DougP

Sep 4, 2001

+1 on that one!
  15. I've seen much nicer. Carl's stuff varies so much... some of it is beautiful, some just isn't to my liking.
  16. ironfist

Feb 5, 2000
    I've only played one Carl Smith but the one I played was beatiful. The playability of that thing was absolutely incredible... the sound was wonderful as well. Still, I don't see myself ever forking out the amount of cash those things go for.
  17. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Carl Smith?

I read somewhare that Ken Smith and Carl are good friends.
    I think.
  18. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    That looks like a familiar CT, from the eBay ID, I think that it is smug TB'er Peter Parker... just a guess though.

...still not worth the chee$e, IM'h'O.

Sounds like two of David Simmons basses are closely inspired by CT and .... Marleaux!