Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carl Thompson on Ebay!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dhuffguitars, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Classic5

Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Australia
    Yeah right.

"buy it now for USD 10,000"

Lets see, that's just under AUD20,000. Only about a years pay for some !!!!!!

Sorry to be so sceptical - that better be some f******g awsome bass.

I'd love to try one though.

:confused:

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I know I am probably setting myself up to get seriously flamed here, but IMHO, that is pretty ugly. I would love to get the opportunity to try one of his basses, as looks can be overlooked if it is a truly exceptional instrument, to a certain extent.

I just can't get where there is $10,000 worth of bass there.:confused: But, then again, I have never played one, so I should keep my mouth shut. It could very well be worth it to someone.;)

3. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    37 " scale....yowza. I complain about 35"

4. I kind of like this one, as far as appearance goes. Not sure a 37-inch scale would be my thing. Some of his basses I find hideous, some pretty, and a lot in between. (I don't think Claypool's rainbow bass is as cool looking as other people seem to find it. Yuck). I've been hearing he's stopped making basses for a long time now- did he finally actually stop 7-31-02, as the auction says?

5. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    That was the last bass to leave his last shop. He is looking for a new shop right now.

Carl is not expecting 10k for the bass, but if you don't post a BIN, people will ask for one and this stops a bunch of people emailing if they can buy it now and for how much

6. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    sorry for being so rude but all that money for that bass is a waste.:oops:

7. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I've always wanted to try a Carl Thompson. I talked to him many years ago when I was setting up a bass for tuning by 5ths. He was really nice and easy to talk to, but he wasn't quite as well known then. I imagine that he wont produce that many more basses at this point in his life. But that is so far out of reach price wise that I just can't see it.

8. Ah, the $10000000 bass has arrived. IMO, the most beautiful electric instrument ever made. I really don't understand how anyone could find it ugly, but oh well.

I've played several CT basses, and I will say right here that they were the best looking and sounding basses I've ever played. As well as being incredibly light! I'm afraid I don't have any sound clips however.

9. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I surely will not buy this bass, not even for 5 K.
    Doesnot look pretty at all compare to Fodera or Warrior. How does it sound ? any better than Caron?

10. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I just don't get it. My loss, I guess.

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hmmm....there aren't many details or pics in that auction...must be a fake! ;) j/k

That's some jaw-dropping woodwork though. Couldn't really tell until I looked at all those closeups.

brad cook

12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I'd rather have a dhuff with a nice, big, fat, metal bridge.

I know Carl is one of your big influences, Darrin, but to me, wooden bridges are for acoustic guitars/basses.

While I think the woods are absolutely gorgeous, the price is inordinate to the instrument, IMO.

13. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    I like wooden bridges on fretless basses, when you want more of the upright sound. If you want more of the Jaco Mwah you need the metal bridge.

14. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    nope.. I think that bass is ugly.. i'm sure it sounds and plays great.. but not for $10 k.. sorry...

15. Prague77

Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    Its a work of art, but not something i could see myself playing or buying.

16. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I want my bass to cripple small children and stunt tree growth. :D

17. banjofreak

banjofreak

Mar 13, 2002
    I thought I'd get my 2 cents in, since so many people are commenting on the price and so on.

I don't think this bass is intended for us, your average bass player. I personally think it will end up with a collector, someone who has been following Carl's career for 30 years and sees the value in owning a bass that is historically significant to Carl's operation. Aside from being the last one out of the Boerum Pl. shop, this is the first time Carl has made a bass like this, pulling out all the stops and making it exactly to his own specifications without a specific buyer in mind. Its very much like buying Carl's personal instrument, everything that he has come to learn in 30 years of building poured into one instrument. So, I kind of think whoever ends up with it won't be playing it all that much, but rather will be hanging on to it as a collector's item. I hate to even say it, but once Carl retires and leaves us (God forbid that's any time soon), the value of his instruments will most likely skyrocket. I wrote that description, and I mean it when I say that this bass will probably hold the same place in Carl's history (and music history in general) as the Rainbow bass.

Yes, I'm biased, so take it for what you will. But, I can definitely see the value in the bass. It certainly isn't for me, I don't have the means to obtain it. But, given the right circumstances I would feel good spending $10,000 on it.

I'm not saying "hey, pay $10K!" I'm just saying that there are people out there that will pay it, and this bass is more for them.

Casey

18. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I think it's beautiful, though I can see some not liking his designs. It's not my favorite though - I think the "Mexican bass" is still my fave CT.

Not that I've ever played one. . . :)

19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I think it's beautiful.

I wish I had enough money to buy one of Carl's instruments, but I dont.

I congradulate whoever wins that auction on getting a fantastic piece of craftsmanship.

Peace
    Nick