Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carl Thompson pics-last try!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Siff, Sep 25, 2000.

1. Full front..
    [​IMG]

Full back..
    [​IMG]

Closeup of the scroll!
    [​IMG]

Body closeup. Here you can see the piece of rosewood Carl inlaid to cover that awful J-pickup hole a previous owner had drilled. The wood is 5/8" thick and runs from the end of the body to 1 3/8" before the pickup. Also note the cool wooden pickup cover. And I've already replaced those cheesy Fender knobs!
    [​IMG]

2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Absolutely....COOL!!! :)

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm sure you'd be happy to say wonderful things about this bass. But, can you tell us what you liken the sound to? And feel?

I've never seen a CT up close, so I'm really only familiar with them through what I've heard Les Claypool do, and we all know about him :D:D

4. Oh great.. now two of the pictures have disappeared on my browser!
    Anyway, RAM, the bass isn't all I'd like it to be (check my other Carl Thompson thread in this forum, I posted a long entry about the bass). You can see how close the pickup is to the neck.. I think it really needs a bridge pickup to get a tighter, more J-like sound, which is what I like. As far as feel and playability, it's quite awesome. I can zip all over it with ease. It's definitely a high-quality bass, still needs a little work though.

5. great looking bass =)

-Willz

6. nice lookin' bass!!

"if defies the laws of traditions" -Les Claypool

:)

7. Maybe you could try a little of that piezo mojo that JT has workin' on his rigs. That would give you the extra zing I bet!

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey dave

put the pics back, eh? can't see em.

9. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Banned

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
    Thanks for the heads-up on the pix, Dave.

They worked fine for me.

Very nice indeed.

I have a couple of questions but I'll check the other thread first.

10. Nice bass Dave! Only one question though, how come the wood looks different around the bridge and the clear pickguard? I bet it plays like a dream.... Oh yeah, I got the Wonderlust cd in the mail yesterday, and it ROCKS! Only problem is that you need to write in some more kick ass bass parts and then make it louder. Great Job...

11. [​IMG]
    i wish my bass looked like that!!
    [​IMG]
    how does the pickup cover work? is it like a fender pickup cover wehre its just right over it, or is it more like a box with the pickup inside it?

12. The wood is different by the bridge because Carl put some new wood in there.. one of the previous owners had drilled an ugly J-pickup hole by the bridge, so Carl put a piece of Bolivian rosewood in from the end of the body to about 1 3/8" from the pickup. Also, there is no pickguard! Trick of the light, I guess. And it does play really well.. zippy, I like to say.

13. Kinda both.. the pickup hole was a touch too big for the Kent Armstrong humbucker Carl put in there, so he built the cover.. it goes all the way down on both sides, but it doesn't encase the pickup.. in other words, it's a cover with 3 whole sides, but not a box.

14. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    That is a great looking bass if I may say so.

15. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    awesome bass! good luck getting it all set up right.. cant wait to see it when u do.. you will post pics right?

16. Yes, I certainly will.. should be a couple weeks or so..