1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carl Thompson Sighting

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by James Hill, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Heh. I'm 10 minutes from there right now.
    Gonna have to go check that out. Thanks for the heads-up!

2. BigDawg

BigDawg

Dec 11, 2006
    Buford, GA
    They have had it for a couple of weeks. Jim probably wants $5K for it. I have always had GAS for one, but they really aren't worth the price to me.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Let me know when you want to go. I want to confirm my underwhelmedness* with CTs.

* I just made that word up! :hyper:

4. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I never saw anything special on them. What, they are scarse, expensive, and Les Claypool plays them?

:meh:

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    it will, no doubt, be overpriced. They are these days, as well know. It looks quite a bit like one of CTbassandbirdsong's basses, imo. I like it, but it will be hefty in the price department.

6. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    I believe that's one of CTBass&Birdsong's CTs. I may be mistaken, but it looks a lot like the 3rd one he got...of 4, I believe.

7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I just remember him saying he was selling his, and I tried to think where in the US he lives.

8. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    He lives in the Atlanta area.

9. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I never paid much attention to CT basses, but looking at that pic, just as far as aesthetics:

- I'm not crazy about that choice of those knobs for that bass, but

- That finish is just about Ultimate for me. Love it.

10. allenhumble

allenhumble Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    I was thinking of going down to ABG on my lunch break to check out the CT and the NYC empire he has but we have 5 tornado warnings in effect so I might have to pass for another day.

11. Obese Chess

Obese Chess I'm Your New Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Allen: We have 5 Tornado Warnings!? Whoa. Hey, let me know when you go down there, tell me how it is.

12. allenhumble

allenhumble Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    Will do

13. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    it probably is his then!

14. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    have you ever played one? Try it, there is something special there. Carl has some unmistakable mojo. As for the knobs, they are terrible...and esily replaced.

15. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Yep. I've played a couple. They've all been pretty much universally bad. The only mojo one had was an uneven, pisspoor fretjob done by Carl....

16. It is, he told me so; I believe the asking price is $5500, which is what he has in it.

17. its a beautiful instrument,plays and sounds great...I am the second owner...bought from a gentleman that was going thru a expensive divorce...all are original parts including the knobs.. i recently got a 06 CT that had the identical knobs......selling this to thin the family and help local families and also the kids have 2 CTs being built for them and will be ready in 2008....The ABG also currently have a alembic 5 and spector 5 they are selling for me....:bassist:

18. I just thought I would put them up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Any one else notice how close that bridge pickup is to the saddles? There's hardly any space at all, pherhaps its a design trait of CT's.