Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carl Thompson to stop making basses.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    According to his website it's true. apparently it's taking up all his time. I don't think he should stop, i'm a big fan.

2. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    where does it say that?

3. x182

x182

Mar 22, 2004
    for those of us who don't know his website.

4. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

5. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    It's on the message board on the site. Click here.

That's a damn crying shame. Carl does breathtaking work.

[​IMG]

6. Yeah. I'm afraid it's probably true.

But he is still making basses, and will be for the next couple of years. He just isn't taking orders anymore.

If I am not mistaken, he is having a DVD, and a book of his coming out sometime soon too.

7. damn, now theres really no chance in hell i can get one (unless i find a used one). o wait, i couldnt afford it anyway :(

i really admire his stuff. Carl Thompson, i solute you!!

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    salute.

Solute is a chemistry term.

9. that's because he still has to finish the basses that have already been ordered which will take a couple years.

10. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Maybe he's angry, and he's saying that he wants to dissolve Carl. :(

11. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Or not... Atleast, I hope not.

12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I think all of Talkbass would be improved with a grammar/spelling checker.

It would eliminate the run-on sentences with bad spelling and no commas.

13. my bad, i definately do not want to dissolve carl.

now i know why i nearly failed english.

14. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I offered to help with the creation of the TB TardAlarmĀ®, but apparently nobody took me seriously. Now see what's happened? we've got sickos on here talking about dissolving people into some sort of luthier water.

15. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I owned serial #3 made in 1973. It was one of the ones made using a Jazz Bass Body and '51 P-Bass Neck as the model to work from. I would have had #1 except he had to piece together 2 pieces or ebony to make the longer fingerboard so I waited. By the time mine was in progress, he had located longer Ebony for the FB. So I actually had the first one with the one piece FB.

I used to hang out with Carl in the old Place in NYC. I had a Studio I shared for teaching and storage on the floor just below him. We played together alot at his place and I even did a Duo Gig with him once. He's a Great Jazz Guitarist and a good person. When I was young and single, he even invited me over if I had nowhere to go on Thanksgiving with him and his wife Linda. I will never forget his kind offer.

Carl worked on my first Proto-type by glueing it up and getting it up to the final carving stage. I took it from there as I didn't have a shop then and went back and forth till it was done. That was about 1976 or so.

He was the first guy I know of in NY that took on the task of building Basses entirly from scratch from rough lumber. I had a little hand in my first CT Bass with the design and I even made a nice stepped Ebony Nut for it. It was my main Bass until 1976 when the Proto-type I designed was completed.

Carl is a one-of-a-kind person as his Basses are and reflect his personality.

We will all miss his creative work......

Maybe now Carl would think about coming out to PA so we could do a few duo gigs !!??

16. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Everything I've ever heard about him indicates that he's a helluva guy.

It's a shame that he's decided to stop building, but I'm glad he's laying the tools down for the sake of doing something he really loves to do but doesn't get time for anymore. I wonder if he's still gonna build for the Make A Wish donations?

17. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I've had the great pleasure to talk to Carl on several occasions, and they were very interesting (and long) conversations at that. He is a true pioneer in the bass world and is one of the most interesting and entertaining guys a person could ever hope to meet. I know that Carl has been wanting to get out of the bass building business for a while, as he wanted to have more time for playing and spending time with his family. That said....the he still has a backlog of orders to take care of, so he isn't going anywhere anytime soon. :) Nevertheless, the man in an innovator, a poineer, and great guy!

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Definitely.

19. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Ya' know, I can get behind his decision. Sometimes you got to stop all the BS and just play. All my best to him.[​IMG]

20. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Soooo....if you own one, its about to become even more valuable.