1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carl Thompson

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rontalsaurus, May 8, 2006.

1. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    I'm surprised I don't see more Carl Thompson's on this board. There tend to be a lot of $3,000+ basses on here, just not that many CT's? How come? From what I've seen of his work, his stuff is certainly on par with just about any other boutique luthier in the business. A friend of mine, Gary Kelly, has a few Carl Thompson's and swears by them against any other high end axe.
    So why no love for the Carl Thompsons?

2. I think alot of guys just don't dig his style enough to lay down the cash... Or they really do dig his style, but they just don't have the cash.

'sides... why pay $3k+ when you can have a wish for $400... lmao!

-Ryan.

3. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    well, style's one thing, tone is another. The tone of the CT's is pretty unique.

4. jordanm

jordanm

Feb 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes and the tone doesn't appeal to most players. Even Claypool rarely records with his. And his tone sounds like ass live. I used to be obsessed with CT's a long time ago, and woulnd't mind having one still. But it would be something more to look at than to play.

5. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Factor in the other things with the fact that he simply doesnt produce that many instruments (I think I read about 10-12 a year), and even though he's been building since the 70's, thats not a lot of basses to be floating around. His wait time is rather insane (allthough perhaps justified) as well.

A lot of folks wont pay all that money up front, to get an instrument a few years down the road, that has a very specific tone they may or may not have a lot of use for. Those that have them seem to love them, but there are a lot of factors involved. Carl is one of the more unique builders, and has the rep to charge what he likes, and take as much time as he likes. Good for him, bad for consumers in general.

6. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Yes, CTs have a very specific tone. Like Ritter basses. They have a very specific tone too. Either you like it enought to lay down +3k or you don't. I, personally, wouldn't get a CT or a Ritter. Don't like the tone enough for that kind of money.

7. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    +1 on the bolded part. I was rather disappointed when I saw Primus in November of '03. :(

Stage presence however, that's a different story. :)

AuG

8. JRB

JRB Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    I had a friend wait 2 years to get a CT, and his was well over 3K which I think a lot of them are. Once it arrived it had the very unique sound and my friend while he loved it realized that it was not what he wanted. I guess that can be the problem of ordering a bass without getting to really place the same model first. With CT I don't have any idea where you can go to check one out so for the most part you have to order blind.

-J

9. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Plus there's the loooooooooooooooong build time.. Aren't there people who ordered CTs in the 70s -still- waiting for their basses???

:meh:

10. Not to sound cynical, but CT is one of many fish in a vast ocean. There are so many talented luthiers out there (a lot of which waiting to take off) that make basses without the remarkable wait time that it's easy to see why CT's aren't more ubiquitous.

11. The CT's of tomarrow are making you basses that are just as good today. They are doing it less and they are posting here at TALKBASS already!

Get yours before their demand puts them at 3 years wait time.

12. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    I have seen and played only two Carl Thompson Basses in my time, both were great sounding and playing. I think it's a misconception to think that, Carl Thompson can deliver you the exact tone of Les Claypool or Stanly Clarke. With Carl Thompson You get an exceptional and unique instrument, not somone elses... How many people have purchased the Geddy Lee Jazz bass and been dissapointed because it didn't even come close to the the sound of Rush?

Quentin Hunt likes this.
  13. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've played 2, and they did nothing for me.

14. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Neither the sound or looks do anything for me.

15. Sherwood

Sherwood

Mar 17, 2006
    Beijing, PRC
    I read something on Ed Roman's website to the effect that Ron Blake (one of Ed's custom shop luthiers) ghost built many of Carl Thompson's basses, including one of Claypool's. This sounds a lot like the usual crap Ed Roman writes, minus the defamatory remarks about asians and immigrants, but is an interesting idea. Anyone know anything more about this?

16. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    If you like Carl Thompsons you'd probably be more than happy with a D. Huff? His Z-5 prototype gets me drooling every time...

17. Name Changed

Name Changed Banned

Apr 22, 2006
    Sarasota,FLORIDA
    I just went on his site and hate the styleing and i couldnt find one bass with a metal or brass bridge. I mean, ***? and to top it off they remind me of wish basses, which is the worst thing you could have a bass reminding you of. OMG, hes like 70 years old now too, i could picture him hand carving your bass and having a heart attack leaving you wit an unfinished bass. i would be :mad: and :crying: that he died.
    lol.:bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:
    but thats my opinion. maybe if i played one there would be that special characteristic that sets it of from any other, but on the other hand, i would be pissed if it was not.

18. I have yet to play one. But everyone I've heard has sounded like doo doo. I have no aspirations to go seek one out.

19. A little bird tells me one or two CTs might pop up here, but not by me, so don't barrage me with PMs. Just keep an eye to the For Sale forums.

20. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

:confused: :confused: :confused:

And by the way, brass is a metal. Why do they have need a metal bridge?

They remind you of wish basses? That's the first time I've heard that.

Who cares how old he is? All the 70 year olds that you know have heart attacks? Give me a break.