Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carles Benavent

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Blackbird, Jul 1, 2001.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Has anyone heard any records by Carles Benavent? He's been featured on a couple of articles in Bass Player magazine, but hardly gets any exposure otherwise. I found a cd by a spanish saxophonist called Jorge Pardo and saw Benavente was the bassist on it, so I bought it. In one word, he is amazing! The music he plays primarily is in the "New Flamenco"style, but his playing has elements of Jaco, Pino, Manring and Jones (as in Percy Jones) put together, all in a jazz-flamenco context. Sometimes he'd double sixteenth note saxophone lines effortlessly, other times, het play great double stops. Seriously, guys, this is someone you definitely want to check out. Anyone out there seen him live?

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Sure, I saw him once in Princeton, New Jersey, in '82, when he was with Chick Corea. From what I recall, his tone wasn't really to my taste at the time (of course, a lot could have changed in 19 years), but I thought he was an impressive and pretty original player. Several times since then I've idly wondered what he was doing. Guess you answered that question!