1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

CARLO CB 550 (I call it 4 B.....)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basspraiser, Jan 27, 2012.

1. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Carl Pedigo is still working for Lakland (part time)(Carl was Lakland's first employee and helped develop all of the models they have in their (fantastic) stable....)

His other "spare time" is spent in a bass/guitar repair and custom build business....

he calls the basses "CARLO basses" ...why? ask him....it is a great story!

The following bass was over 6 months in the making.

First a little back story (then the pictures!)

I started talking to Carl in May or June about my desire to have a "soupped up 55-94".....not sure of what wood, hardware, pre-amp etc....

We both began looking for "THE" piece of wood....he and I even spent an afternoon at a specialty wood supplier in Chicago...I spent another day with a wood working friend at a couple of his 'honey hole' dealers and I still could not find the wood that "spoke to me" (well...in my price range anyways! I found several nice pieces but they were WAY pricey!).....I also was looking all over the net as well...

In July I found a piece of Bubinga (African Rosewood) on Ebay that both me and Carl liked and it was "just on the edge" of my price range so I bought it and had it shipped to Carl....

In the mean time we began talking about the electronics etc....I kept coming back to how much I liked the LH3 set up so we decided that was the way to go....

after getting the bubinga Carl started "mating it" with the woods for the neck, back of the body, fretboard etc....

specs:

front: 3/4" bubinga
    Back: Alder (for weight and resonance)
    neck: crazy figured maple
    fretboard: Ebony with stained maple cblocks (to match teh body)
    pre-amp: Lakland LH3
    pickups: Hanson J/MM

FINALLY here are a few pics:

01-bassneck.

DSCN2553.

DSCN2556.

DSCN2554.

DSCN2555.

and the new Lakland tweed case (awesome!)

DSCN2557.

Carl delivered this to me at a nice little cafe near my house.

I have a pre-determined notion of what I "think" it will look like from photoshop mock ups etc....

I am REALLY worried that it will not be as "good"....and I am in a place with About 30 people who are wathcing us (because they were wondering what Carl brought in in that "strange" shaped case)

it takes me about 15 minutes to open the case...not knowing....well.......

Let's just say that I was blown AWAY!

My imagination (for once) was less than reality!

after bringing the bass home ? OMG!

This think is remarkable ...........sustain and harmonics for days and weeks! Action is lower than i thought possible....this may be my BEST sounding bass (really)

My wife was telling me that it was "rumbling the houser" when I hit the B string.....had to stop to let her sleep (music room/office in the basement and bedrooms on the second level)

NO WAY NO HOW is this bass EVER leaving my hands.

2. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    PS ...why 4B?

"Bubinga Bling Bling Bass"....

:)

3. Black Bart

Black Bart

Sep 11, 2010
    Very nice Doude, very nice :)

4. That neck is gorgeous.

5. Mrfstop

Mrfstop

Jan 26, 2006
    New York
    Schaaaaaawinggggggg!!!! congrats on a beauty of a bubingowsi!!:hyper:

6. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Wow! Carl is the best! I've gotta figure out what he can build for me.

Congrats Doug!

7. What's the weight on this again?