Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carlo Robelli 6 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Z0r, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Z0r

Z0r

Jan 16, 2005
  2. Z0r

Z0r

Jan 16, 2005
    bump.. any1?

3. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I personally do not like any of the basses in the Robelli line, I much prefer the SX/Brice stuff from Rondo www.rondomusic.com (of course, just my opinion)

I have found that the Robelli basses have some really questionable quality control .... seems like the quality of the basses varies widely from bass to bass, and I don't think that should be the situation with mass-produced lower end instruments. With the SX/Brice line the quality of the basses is uniform. They are all known to have poor treble/bass tone pots & very cheap strings, but they are also all known for the fairly high quality of the bass construction and extreme flexibility when upgrading or modifying the basses.

Take a look at the 6ers at Rondo .... don't know where you live, but if you're in the NJ area, Rondo & Sam Ash are about 1/2 hour away from each other ... at least you could try the basses out in person

4. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    Carlo Robelli is the Sam Ash 'house brand'. I have no experience with any of their instruments, but people don't talk about them much around here. Have you looked at rondomusic.com?

5. Z0r

Z0r

Jan 16, 2005
    well now i have.. but im not really into upgrading anythin that much, so im not too big on the getting sumthin with cheap strings idea.. which one of those 6 strings is best on rondo?

6. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I gotta tell you, the Carlo Robellis and Brices are most likely made in the same factory. Check out the Tune Basses at Sam Ash--better than either one.

7. Z0r

Z0r

Jan 16, 2005
    god that tune bass has to be one of the ugliest basses ive ever seen

8. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Don't know very much about the Tune basses .... I agree that they are kind of edging towards ugly :meh: .... but quite a few players here on TB seem to like them.

As far as the Brice basses are concerned, the Z series is very nice with the bodies kind of molded a little more than the HBX series, which are a bit more boxy .... depends on the body style you prefer. I believe the necks are all the same, except for the Z6 neck-through (obviously). There is a massive thread here on TB called the Essex Megathread ... tons of opinions (good and bad) about the SX/Brice lines. Look back at the threads for the past day or two, you'll find it.

9. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    BTW, whatever bass you get from this grouping of SX/Brice/Robelli, etc, will likely require you to put new strings on it, most of these lower end basses come with really bad strings .........

10. Z0r

Z0r

Jan 16, 2005
    yeah i guess ur right.. gettin new strings isnt that big of a deal anyway, not that spendy

11. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I was considering getting the Z bass neck thru and waited too long to get it. They sold out of them then I came across those Tune basses at Sam Ash and I am glad that I found it. IMO it is better than the Brice. I know the look is real different but the sound is awesome. Three band EQ, brass nut, ash body with a maple neck. Solid construction.

I had a Brice HXB 6 string and it seems the new ones have the same problems that the old ones had. As Pointbass said about the tone pots, they are suppose to be a 2 band eq and it seems as though they are just tone controls for the pickups. I also prefer wide string spacing. For the money there are more features in the Tunes than either the Carlo Robelli's or the Brice's. Just my opinion. :smug:

Although your new bass looks very sweet in your pictures Pointbass. Are you thinking about putting in a new preamp at any time? I was going to put a Bartolini in my old one but I came across the Tune and sent it back for a refund.

12. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    I have been considering it, but to tell you the truth the bass records really well so I'm not so sure it's worth putting the money into it. It sounds really good live and I wouldn't change it just for live playing ... and I'm not using anything special in live playing, just a Hartke 3500 into a 410 + 115. It has plenty of b*lls and clarity. It's the recording side that I was worried about and so far, no problem .......

13. Z0r

Z0r

Jan 16, 2005
    the tune is just 100 bux outta my price range & its too ugly so rule that out

14. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    oh man, that tune bass is sweet. im currently using a carvin LB76. how does the tune compare?

15. I own one of the Robelli sixers, and am chagrined to admit that I love it!

I bought it used at a pawn shop for $225.00. it's in as new condition except for a small ding on the back of the body. I have heard about the on-again off-again Q.C. issues but mine seems to be fine, I restrung it with new Rotosounds though.

I played in a small jazz combo a while back and, the other musicians seemed to like its tone just fine, there were no complaints anyway.

So, play one, and if you like it get it!

I have to admit, though, I have looked at the Brices, and GAS for one of those too. Especially with the good reviews they seem to get.

..........Jim

16. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
  17. Z0r

Z0r

Jan 16, 2005
    i just wanna know one thing.. which bass has thinner spacing between strings?

18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The neck-through Z bass is back in stock at Rondo.

19. Z0r

Z0r

Jan 16, 2005
    & im gonna be grabbin it the second i can