Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carlo Robelli Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adamaarts, Apr 24, 2001.

1. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    Ok, here's the deal. about 6 months ago I came across a Carlo Robelli 4 string at a Sam Ash Music store. I thought they were new since I havent heard of them before. I loved playing it and I bought it. Now about 6 months later, they still have the same models, and I havent seen them anywhere but Sam Ash.

My question , where the heck can I find out more about these basses? I know they make voilins and guitars, but only at Sam Ash. Does anyone know a website, or store where they are made, or does another company make them? I really need to know, I am considering buying a new bass but there isnt a great choice at Sam Ash, and carlo robellis are perfect for me. Thank you very much!

Thanks to TalBass also for having these forums!

2. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Carlo Robelli is a line which only Sam Ash carries. I think Brownsville may also be one, but I'm not sure. Why? Well, in essence, Sam Ash makes them. They don't make them in the sense that in the back of all of their stores is a factory. They hire (I'm assuming) Samick or Cort to produce scads of them in Indonesia, China, or Korea. This means that they have a piece that not only costs them less than similarly equipped pieces, but they also can't be shopped around. When you buy something like this, you aren't necessarily getting a worse off piece. Some are pretty nice. But they cost very little to make and no matter how much of a bargain they seem to be, they are still making the salesmen a HUGE commission.

How do I know this? Well, I'm a Guitar Center guitar salesman. We have a brand that is proprietary called Mitchell. They are a line of acoustic guitars that only we have. They cost us little and are pretty nice for the buck. They will be a great players piece, but will probably never appreciate in value, but rather depreciate rather quickly. In essence, they make both the player and the salesman happy.

Look at it like this:
    Fender DG11 Acoustic: Factory -> Overseas to distributor -> Advertising -> Company warehouses -> Stores -> sales floor. Each step adds money to the base cost.

Mitchell or Carlo Robelli Acoustic: Factory -> Company -> Stores

Less steps = Less cost

Get it? To sum up, the Carlo Robelli you are looking at may be a great piece if it feels good and sounds good, but in the long run, is there a lifetime warranty? Are you going to want to upgrade and sell it later in life?

Happy Trails

3. JJR

JJR

Jan 7, 2001
    Idaho
    I think Rojo is correct, it's a house brand. I believe that "Carlo Robelli" is an identical line to "Rogue" which is the house brand for Musicians Friend. I have also seen identical instruments under a couple of other names ("Diotati" is one I've seen sold new in pawn-type shops.). I think that if you can locate the factory in China that makes them, you can have your own line of basses.

I once played a Robelli 6/12 doubleneck... wasn't too bad surprisingly.

4. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    JJR, you are correct. If you have the dough (and a place to sell them), you too can have a line of music gear with your name on it.
    Here's a good list of names from the same factory (or similar ones):

Cort and Samick (Names of the companies that REALLY MAKE most of these brands)
    Squier (Fender)
    Epiphone (Gibson)
    Groove Tools (Conklin)
    Curbow Slapper (Curbow)
    Hamer (anything non-USA)
    BC Rich (anything non USA)
    Jackson (Non-US)
    Ibanez (Non-Japan)
    Electromatic & Syncromatic (Gretsch)
    Danelectro (all)
    Carlo Robelli, Brownsville (Sam Ash)
    Mitchell, Lucero (Guitar Center)
    Rogue (Musicians Friend, sometimes GC)
    Kramer (new stuff)
    Toby Pro (Tobias)
    Spirit (Steinberger)
    Jay Turser, Bentley, Diotati, Saturday Night Special, etc (Pawn Shop/Small Shop specials)
    New Spector (non- US or Czech)
    Takamine, Ovation (anything not Japan or USA)
    Santana (PRS)
    Some Yamaha
    Hartke's New stuff
    Trace Elliot's New stuff
    All Crate

Well, as usual, I could go all night long :) but I'll just say this: If it says "Made in Indonesia", "Made in China", "Made in Korea", "Made in India", "Made in Bangladesh", etc., It's made by Samick or Cort.