1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Carlo Robelli Rickenbacker 4001 Bass Copy Japan 1976 - Price Drop!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Billy Budapest, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Billy Budapest

Billy Budapest

Aug 3, 2009
    Price:
    $700
    Strings:
    Here’s a rare opportunity to grab a high-quality Ric 4001 copy which is branded Carlo Robelli (from their pre-Sam Ash days) and built to exacting standards at the Matsumoku factory in 1976.
    SV8UIdt.

When I acquired this instrument it had clearly been neglected for many years and yet, aside from some extensive dirt and grime, it was in absolutely remarkable condition with no damage whatever and very, very few dings or abrasions to speak of. The worst cosmetic issue is some light pitting on the metal parts, which is entirely typical of these models. Otherwise it is just plain beautiful, with a top-bound mapleglo body, a smooth (and gorgeous) flamed maple neck, a lacquered rosewood fretboard with no discernable fret wear, and all-original parts.

The bass was, however, in need of a set-up and some TLC from a technical standpoint. With some diligent effort and a shim in the neck pocket, everything was brought nicely into spec. The action is low and can be adjusted to the player’s individual taste using the saddle assembly, and the double truss rods work exactly as intended. It is imminently playable!

The only caveat as of now is that the bridge pickup is somewhat microphonic (just like a real Ric!) but easily tamed and further work will be required to play above the 17th fret on the top (G) string. I’m afraid that overcoming that issue is somewhat above my pay grade.

Like the original, this bass features both a mono and stereo output, a toaster-style neck pickup, a mute adjustment via two thumbscrews on the bridge, and waffle-back tuners. Unlike the original, the neck is a bolt-on – but with a long-tenon construction that is indicative of the care and attention that went into this build. The bass has been strung with a brand new set of GHS Round Wound Medium Light Boomers and comes with a gig bag.

In all, with its positively ferocious sound, broad sonic palette, and easy playability, this instrument has been reborn as a monster replica of one of the most iconic and beloved basses of all time!

NEW PRICE: $700 plus actual shipping
    Inquire for International shipping rates
    No trades, please

Thanks for looking!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    dangevans and blindrabbit like this.
  2. PaulReside

PaulReside

Mar 14, 2016
    Scottsdale Az
    NICE, ya know I had a C.R. Jazz bass in the 70's. Best Jazz I have ever played.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  3. Billy Budapest

Billy Budapest

Aug 3, 2009
    I expected somebody to jump on this - if I misjudged the price, feel free to let me know - uh...in a PM!

GKon likes this.
  4. FORAS

FORAS

Jan 29, 2017
    Ive seen these sell for about 400-600 locally. Strange that about 3 have turned up in the last few months. Ive never played one and im not suggesting yours isnt worth your asking price just relaying what ive seen.

5. Billy Budapest

Billy Budapest

Aug 3, 2009
    Thanks for the input.

I've had a few private inquiries along the same lines and I admit that although I know my gear prices pretty well I am a little confounded about the true value of this one - mostly because they are so scarce that very little information is available by which to measure it. This is not helped, of course, by eBay's off-and-on prohibition on selling Ric copies (very irksome).

Every time I have ever seen a vintage MIJ Ric copy listed, the price is somewhere in the $700s or above. (That, of course, is not the selling price in every instance.)

I'm wide open to a discussion on pricing. But the quality of the build and the scarcity of the item dictates a certain value for sure and a selling price at the low end of the range you suggest will just encourage me to keep the bass because, quite honestly, it's a whole lotta fun to have and where am I ever going to find another?!?

But I'll drop the price in the listing to something that hopefully is a little more appealing...

6. EricMordus

EricMordus

Aug 29, 2013
    NYC
    This is identical to my very first bass... I wish I still had it