1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

carlo robelli/sam ash 8-string (and 8-strings in general)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by craigb, Dec 9, 2001.

1. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I'm going to get a little cash for Christmas and have always been interested in having an 8-string (doubled 4, not 8 individual) to work with. I think it would work well in a sparse singer-songwriter type of environment and I'm really curious how I could get it to work when writing.

The only one I could stretch my budget to right now is the Carlo Robelli one at Sam Ash. $350, unspecified body wood (so probably plywood), silver metal-flake body. Unknown nut width and scale length. Has anybody played one of these? The only review I could find on the web was very positive but not particularly informative. I think it might be a cheap way to get into the 8-string world. I do like the Dean Rhapsody 8 better but the current minimum on that bass looks to be about $460 right now (they are popping up for that new-in-box on ebay pretty regularly) and I don't want to stretch to that right now for something that I don't know if I'll like.

So I'm fishing for specific comments on the Carlo Robelli/Sam Ash 8-string and any general comments on using an 8-string in various musical settings. And if anyone has a used Dean Rhapsody 8 they want to sell, let me know.