Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

carlo robelli

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by floydbass, Oct 5, 2003.

1. carlo robelli basses: are these basses any good, i say a fretless in samash for like 200 bucks, it had a great neck, tons of mwah and sustain for days, but i am not a good judge of basses-amps (hmmm see profile):) jk, so what ARE your thoughts on these basses

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I think you just answered your own question :p ;)

3. yeah but see rest of post

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I left out the rest of hte post in my quote for a reason.

If you liked it it's a good bass end of story.

5. oh ok thanks wrong wrobot :)

6. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

Stay away from Carlo Robelli basses, I had one a couple of years ago, I adjusted the truss rod and it broke, you can get a essex for under $200, please, stay away form Carlo Robelli :)

Stay away!!

7. are you sure, ok man :bawl:

8. Aristotle

Aristotle

May 12, 2002
    Easton, MD
    From what I've heard about CR, they seem to be the sort of manufacturer that you can really hit or miss with. Not a whole lot of meticulous attention to details I'd imagine. So if you see one in the store and it seems good to you, go for it. Just don't get one if you havent played it.

9. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I too have heard alot of negative reviews about Carlo Robelli. The one you tried may sound and feel nice to you but if I were you, I'd pass considering the amount of negative reviews and feedbacks that Carlo Robelli has had. Sure it plays nice, I wouldn't be surprised if it falls apart before too long. $200 may not be alot of money to spend on a bass guitar but its still money and wouldn't you rather be safe than sorry? It could be a nice bass but are you willing to take the risk?

I'll second the Essex. They arguably make the best sub-250 basses. I owned an Essex SJB-62 with a quilted top once and it was a beauty. I was very surprised as to how well it played and how well constructed it was. I've dropped it on numerous of occasions and the bass withstood the abuse.

10. i might be thibking of the wrong bass because this bass was finished, was fretless and had 28 "frets":confused:

11. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    From what I hear Carlo Robelli was bought out by Sam Ash which is why they can give you such cheap prices on em.... As far as quality n stuff goes I've never really played one so I can't comment.

12. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Well, almost...

"Carlo Robelli" is Sam Ash's "House" brand (just like "Rogue" is the house brand of Musician's Friend). For the most part, they are cheap entry level instruments. I have a 4 string neck-through that was made in Vietnam (It looks very much like this: http://www.dillionguitars.net/vseries/VXB4A/). Paid around $300 for it. At the time (back around '97 IIRC) I felt it faired well against anything else I could find for under $500. Today, there are better choices for your cash, Essex and Brice (From Rondo Music) being two of them.

- Frank.

13. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Frequently, they have the identical items with different headstock markings and profiles. Same factory, same gear.

I was just looking at a Carlo Robelli acoustic flattop bass that is likewise identical to an Ibanez except for the headstock markings.

Some experienced players are thrilled with the Carlo Robelli stuff and some aren't. Some represent good value and some are junk. It just depends on the particular item.:meh:

14. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    I bought a used one from some guy off of ebay. I just wanted the neck for a project and it was real cheap. I didn't ask the guy if the neck was warped, and he didn't tell me that it was. (my fault for not asking, his fault for not being upfront about it) The neck felt very comfortable, but has a backbow that will not come out. I later read a thread about the basses (can't remember if it was on TB or not)and a few people mentioned the same problem. I'd spend the money on an Essex or maybe one of those new Brice models. YMMV

15. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    That's your first mistake. There's alot of people out there, trying to pass of junk as something of value to make a buck. I'd never buy an instrument off of Ebay. But that's just me, I know some folks have had some luck, it'd be just my luck to get a lemon...

16. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    Up to the time I bought the Robelli of Ebay, I'd had nothing but good experiance with people. That transaction made me more cautious for the future. Unfortunatley there are no good music stores in the area, so it's hard to find anything, let alone a good bass. Most stores here usually have 5-10 basses and 3/4 of those are junk. At least I learned something from it. Ask a lot of questions before you bid on a cheap bass, and don't buy a Robelli!!!

17. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    For the most part, most of the inexpensive overseas basses are made by one of a handful of manufacturers & factories (Samick being one of them). "Budget" name brands such as Carlo Robelli (aka Sam Ash), Rogue (aka Musician's Friend), Brice/Essex, Dillion, Jay Turser, etc. contract out with the factory to produce their instruments. Some go the extra "yard" and have the factory design the instrument(s) to their specifications. Others just pick from existing designs and have their label slapped on. Some companies (like MTD and Lakland) have rigid specs and are willing to pay quite a bit more to have the factory produce a product that is more on par with their U.S. counterparts. The Korean, Vietnamese, and even Chinese (check out BlueRidge acoustics) luthiers have demonstrated that they can produce high quality beautifully crafted instruments (at a price)... But don't expect a whole lot from a $200 guitar or bass.

- Frank.

18. bump

19. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    i've come along just to confuse you a little more. i have a carlo robelli acoustic that i've beaten to death, and i love it. the intonation and action are great, as are the acoustic and amplified sound.

on the other hand, as people here have said, i've played some carlo robellis that i wouldn't pay a dime for. (by the way - I won my carlo robelli, don't think i'd have ever actually bought one). for the most part i've heard that carlo robellis are not the greatest basses, but there's a couple of really great ones that come out of the bunch.

again, as others have said, the sx and brice basses have a way better track record - and they're cheaper. i just bought a fretless jazz that i've been raving about in the essex/brice megathread. you can get a 4 string from $120 to $160 and it's not as much of a gamble. read the reviews on both. if you're interested them you can find them at www.rondmusic.com.

rough part for you is know whether the carlo robelli is worth it. if you REALLY liked and it felt right, you might want to go for it. i'd suggest taking a friend along that knows a little more to really check it out for you. otherwise - some suggesstions - check all the controls like crazy, make sure they're okay, look it over really well to make sure nothing's falling apart, play all the way up and down the neck on all strings to check for rattling and buzzes, see if any screws are stripped, ask if you can adjust the truss rod (or ask them to make a minor adjustment just to see if it's stripped)... if you still like it, it might be worth the gamble. $200 isn't much to throw away if it winds up being a lemon.

good luck.