Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carlo Robelli?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Diezel420, Jan 14, 2002.

1. I was on musiciansfriend.com looking for a cheap, but good, six string. Carlo Robelli really caught my eye. Its BEAUTIFUL. But I've never heard anything about them. I play mostly funk and jazz, but also some rock and metal. I currently play a Fender Jazz V and a fretless Cort Artisan 4, and I really like the added versatality of the high C. How does this compare to other 6 strings of similar price (namely the Cort Curbow 6 (which I really like) and Alvarez 6, but I heard Alvarez sucks.

Carlo Robelli? Good?

Thanks again........

v

2. I've tried the Alvarez and it's pretty decent actually...although idk if it's the same model as the one that Musicians Friend offers but it was a 6 string w/ 2 j-style p/ups and it was orange...idk I kinda liked it but idk if I'll buy it...

3. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I might be wrong but i thought Carlo Robelli was the Sam Ash house brand or something similar. I've saw a few of the C.R. basses and considered buying one but then i realized if i saved some money i could buy another fender or fmic....i'm obsessed. :D ;)

4. I figure the Alvarez I played was a decent instrument; it just wasn't for me. But I love that Cort Curbow 6, I'm just not too sure on the look. The Carlo Simply caught my eye b/c of the quilt maple top and sunburst finish; I like it probably more than I normally would (generally not much of a sunburst fan).

Anyway, mostly funk, jazz, and dub I play, with occasional slap (you don't need to slap to be funky, ie George Porter Jr.) and some rock/metal.

Does anyone know how the Robelli 6 fares in playability, reliabiltiy, and most of all sound? I could use a high C.

5. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    i used to work at Sam Ash, and carlo robelli is their house brand.... are you SURE it was a carlo on musicians friend? do you have a link? cause that doesn't make sense

but as for the bass, i'm sorry but i can't recommend it... they're just mega cheapo and the jack WILL fail on you... our guitar tech had to replace every single output jack on every CR bass in stock... plus the quilted maple top is fake and it looks bad once you see it in person.... i've seen nice photoflames but this one is bad... the push/pull passive/active circuit is interesting but kinda pointless-- i couldn't tell the difference in sound... unfortunately i haven't seen those other basses you're looking at to compare... but i'd recommend a cheap ibanez sixer over the carlo... i don't even like ibanez but they're around the same price (maybe slightly more) and made better than the carlo

6. I have to agree with the jack, mine is going as we speak!

I have a natural neck thru CR and other than this jack problem I really do like it! It is very hit and miss with the CR line though! I was looking at the CR model that you are talking about when I was in the market and decided that I was going to go for an Ibanez/Yamaha/Fender instead(much better quality!) ... that was until I came across this Neck thru model used(which they don't sell any longer).

I think I got lucky - I would go for something else if I were you ...

Good luck!

7. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey

Keithconn, Is this the model you're referring to?
    [​IMG]
    I upgraded the bridge to a hipshot and changed knobs and tuners on mine. Suprisingly, I haven't had a problem with my output jack. I think you're right on the hit or miss comment. In general CR is crap, and I played close to a half dozen of the neck-thrus before selecting the one I bought. The fit/finish on mine is far from perfect, but it feels and plays quite well. Maybe I'm crazy, but I really like this stupid bass. I have a few other basses (including a Cirrus fiver, which plays like a dream), but I'll probably keep this CR until it falls apart :D

- Frank.

8. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    I'd stay away from that brand. I think they glue on the tops of their basses. I buddy I know online told me he bought one and was very dis satisfied with CR bass. He said he was fooled into ordering it from MF as a special deal. He says it may look really cool but it doesn't play that great. MF seem to get a lot of hard to find stuff.

9. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    What's the point in something like CR, when you have basses like Ibanez BTB-6, Cort Curbow-6 and MTD Kingston-5, all inexpensive and nice.

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Just out of curiousity, what is the preferred method for attaching a top to a main body wood?

I don't have any long term CR experience but the fretless I played in NY played well and sounded great, especially for $250 new.

11. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    The guy that bought one told me the tops are just "...photo copied paper glued to the body..." And the body of the wood is basswood.

You can do a search on the 'net, you'll find a lot of info on it...but I'd rather buy a Kingston over a CR

12. Yup thats my bass ... And I have to say that I really do like it a lot!

I do know what others are saying about some of these basses. The Quilt top ones do look a little suspect, but they do seem to play ok ... If you make sure you have a good one.

Perhaps they are getting better? I don't know!
    :D

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

Thanks, I didn't realize that was what you meant.

14. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    Do u know if that is true???? I guess its called a veneer right? I went to the MF site but could not find a CR bass....hmmmmm

15. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Tsal's right... With the selection of quality basses available (the MTD Kingston immediately comes to mind) today, it would be smarter to stay away from house brands like CR and Rogue. I bought mine back around '97, and at that time it was a good deal at $300 and compared quite favorably with other 4 strings under $500 street (IMHO of course). I also played a bunch of them and was lucky to find one (out of many) that I really liked. I've heard stories about the woods being "swamp wood" as well as stories about the the laminates separating due to poor gluing processes, etc... Mine's lasted 5 years so far without any problems though. It's my "throwaway" bass... The one you can take out without worrying if something happens to it.

Diezel420: I can't imagine you saw a "CR" on musiciansfriend.com :confused: . Carlo Robelli is Sam Ash's house brand (I know, Jarrod already stated this). Maybe the brand you're referring to is "Rogue", which is Musician's Friend's house brand. A "house brand" or "OEM brand" just means the retailer contracts directly with a manufacturer (like Samick or Cort, or Joe Blow in China) to make the basses under the retailer's name. In many cases, the retailer doesn't even have anything to do with the design of the bass, they just pick a bunch of models that the manufacturer already makes and slap their name on it. Between cutting out the middle man and not having to worry about another retailer selling the same brand (at least under the same name, anyway) for less, the retailer can make quite a bit more profit on these products. 9 times out of 10 they are budget instruments and the quality is... well, there really isn't any quality, at least none that's consistant. If you happen to pick one up, play it and it feels and sounds good (and the price is right), then by all means consider it. I'd caution against buying one sight unseen via the web or mailorder however.

Progplayer: You're referring to the old Fender fotoflame process, huh? I've noticed the same thing on the OLP versions of the Axis guitar, really cheezy looking top that looks like contact paper.

- Frank.

16. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    My online buddy told me he did indeed buy his CR from musicians friend. It was a special and he says they still have them. I don't know????

But he said in the catalog the CR bass looked so good and "pretty". When he received it he made himself like the CR bass. He played it for three months before he finally tried to sell it. He also explained the bass did not play good and it needed a set up right away, still the neck shifted.

He says if you look closely at the body you can see where the paper is glued to the body. Its not even glued on correctly he says. He is tempted to break the lacker (He has since bought a Tobias Toby Pro) and inspect it. :p i told him to do it!!!!!

Rouge is junk; i am sorry if I offend anyone...but house brands are just not made with quality. Its for a beginner. I don't even consider it a budget bass (more headache than play). I would save more money and get something that makes me feel good.

17. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Hmmm... :rolleyes: Musician's Friend is owned by Guitar Center, not Sam Ash... I wonder how they got their hands on these (maybe the same manufacturer makes both the Rogues and CRs, and they sent the wrong ones to MF). I would be more interested to know if Sam Ash were aware of this, and how they feel about if it is indeed true.

Edit: I'm curious, how did your friend find out these basses from Musician's Friend. I've scoured through the last 3 issues of the MF catalog AND did every search I could think of on musiciansfriend.com, and I can't find a single reference to Carlo Robelli. Is it possible he really bought it from samash.com? :confused:

18. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Ok, I know this is starting to become a stupid thread, but now my curiosity is up. Ask your friend what the cover of the catalog looks like, and if there's a season or some other identifier near the top that tells which catalog it is.

Thanks,

Frank.

19. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    i talked to him and its my fault. you know how crazy IM's can get. We were not on the same page at all. He thought I was talking about his Dean.... long story. Ok I cleared that up. His CR was ordered from Sam Ash Music! I asked him, "Did you buy that CR bass from Sam Ash?" He said, "Yes" :confused: My bad, I rushed into it and he didn't realize what I was talking about. Sorry !!!!!!!!!