Carlo Robelli

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Jacoproud, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Has anyone had any experience of Carlo Robelli basses. are they good/bad, value for money etc, i appreciate your help. Thanks
  2. I think they are tied for first place on the junk DB list.
  3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    What are they tied with? I've never heard of them.
  4. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    It's the Sam Ash "house brand" - they put that name on guitars, bass guitars, etc., that are made for them. The double basses are Chinese made to my knowledge.
  5. So shall i stay clear then? I want to get off the right foot and i understand there is a great difference between buying a bass guitar and buyng a double bass
  6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

If Gruffy says they're "tied for first on the DB junk list", it means he's putting them in the ROGUE category of DB's. If you were shopping for a slab, would you buy a Rogue?

Personally, I wouldn't, but that's just me.
  7. Like (All Hail) Bob said they are the Samash house brand. They are tied for first with the standard Ebay bass. I.e. Crumbora and the like.
  8. I realize this response comes a wee bit after the original post, but I feel like I have to respond to this, given some of the things that have been said about Carlo Robelli basses. I own three of them. A fretless, a 6-string and a 12-string. I'm very happy with them. For the price, they can't be beat. I mean, keep it in perspective. If you buy a $200 Carlo Robelli bass and expect it to compare to a $1,500 Rickenbacker, you're going to be disappointed. But I'm an old guy. Low-end basses when I was young were embarassingly bad and almost always unplayable.

The three Carlo Robelli basses I own may not compare to my Alembic Spoiler, but they're not junk. Anyone who thinks this brand is junk doesn't know what junk is.

Like I said, keep it in perspective. As a starter bass for someone on a limited budget, I would highly recommend this brand.

- Wicasta Lovelace
  9. While this may be true for electric (slab) basses, DB's are a whole different animal. I'd stay away from them. I've heard some bad stories (read "exploding" basses). Please keep in mind though that there are some Chinese DB makers that are of decent to good quality, like Shen and Christopher basses. Unless you can find a good used DB locally, perhaps one of these would be an option (Englehardt might be worth looking into as well). But do what you kind to find a local luthier who can look over a used bass before you purchase it, if possible. Plus it doesn't hurt to get to know a quality luthier when the time comes that you do purchase a DB.

10. jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I've never seen their double basses but their guitars are total crap. I'd stay very far away.
  11. protools2

Sep 9, 2007
    i used to have a p bass and a j bass, old carlo robellis , not the new ones and i sold them, now i feel so bad i need to get them back or buy the same kind. anybody know who has one or of this vintage carlo robellis? eben if they are broken
    im in Los Angeles
  12. protools2

Sep 9, 2007
    I used to own 2 vintage carlo robelli basses, a j-bass and a p-bass
    anybody know who is selling the same? really feel bad because i sold them. i miss them, i will buy even broken :) or rusty.
    im in Los Angeles
  13. jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
  14. Stan Haskins

Stan Haskins

Nov 17, 2005
    NY and Miami
    Seriously, stay away from Carlo Robelli.
  15. joel kelsey

joel kelsey

Aug 1, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    hi all,

I own a Robelli bass. I bought it as a backup for my Juzek. I have played bass for almost ten years so I have a pretty good idea of what junk is. My Robelli is a P.O.S. I bought it for 500 bucks because it was used. Here are the pros and cons.

pros- I can play it outside and leave it in my car. It was 500 bucks.

cons- It has avery small sound that gets quieter as the pitch gets higher (useless for soloing). The bridge adjusters did not work. The endpin slots were not wide enough so the bass would always fall.The bridge feet were way too thick. The "ebony" fingerboard gave me splinters. The top is so shiny that the bridge can slide around very easily.

I had all of these things fixed and put new strings on it. So, in total I payed about 750 bucks for the bass to be "playable". I would NEVER suggest anyone buy one of these. If I had never played bass and bought one of these, I surely would have quit within the first few months. They are junk and they sell for 1000 dollars. I got a good deal, but I only play this bass if it is absolutely necasary. I would think a Shen would be a good choice for a beginner. You could get one that was setup and had decent strings on it for about the same price as buying a Robelli and sinking money into getting it set up.
  16. I've owned one for 3 years now..I will say, I may have gotten a "factory freak" but mine feels NOTHING like any other Robellis I've played. Just about every single one I've played feels like junk but mine is actually quite usable.

I got one for a couple reasons.. 1. At the time, I was gigging mainly with electric. 2. I dont do much recording or acoustic playing so I couldn't justify spending thousands more on a bass just to pick a pickup on it (at least that was part of my reasoning at the time).

Surprisingly, this bass has held up quite nicely. I honestly bought it with the intention to tie me over for a year or so but it keeps going. I believe I got it for $600 or so. I have gotten a lot of flack "eww, you bought that at Sam Ash? eww thats a Robelli?" believe it or not. But it doesnt bother me much. Fact of the matter is its held up for a number of years and I gig regularly with it and, with a good pickup, it sounds decent.

I'm sure everyones experiences will vary though.
  17. And I thought 6 strings was a few too many. What in hell do you do with 12 strings on a bass?
  18. ctcruiser

Jan 16, 2005
    West Haven, CT
    When I was looking to buy my first DB, I stopped by a Sam Ash. The salesman there said that their Robelli DB was a piece of cr@#$ and that I would not want to buy it. Nuff said.
  19. jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    come on guys. Robelli is a STORE BRAND designed for the exclusive purpose of additional dealer mark-up. Buy something with the manufacturer's name on it like eastman or samick...Why pay sam ash for spec'ing out something cheap for *their* profit???