Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carlos Enriquez...

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by gomez hacienda, Dec 27, 2005.

1. I watched the Quicktime video of Steve Jobs' last Apple presentation so I could catch Wynton Marsalis' quartet close the show and also to see and hear his young bassist, Carlos Enriquez. I was very much impressed by what I saw. Does anyone know what recordings he's on? Does he play with WM on a regular basis?

gomez

so many notes, so little time.

2. It's actually Carlos Henriquez. I'm not sure with who all he has played with but I know he is on Wyton's Magic Hour and he tours with that band. He's really great to see live.

3. Some of the things he was doing were certainly different. Like playing harmonics with the right hand above the left. His intonation was spot-on as well.

When I googled that name I got a Cuban painter from the early 20th century, but I also saw the bassist Carlos' name spelled w/o the "H" also. I guess it could be interchangeable...either way, I'm sure going to make an effort to see him live.

gomez

4. ToR-Tu-Ra

ToR-Tu-Ra

Oct 15, 2005
    Mexico City
    Funny...

My second name is Enrique and it's where the last name Enriquez comes from. I've never seen my name spelled with an H at the begining, neither the last name Enriquez. BUT!

Enrique is translated Henry into english, so I guess that's where the H comes from. Funny how things change depending on the place they are written. Anyways, I'm off topic. I'll try to look into this Carlos Enriquez and check out his playing (my brother's name is Carlos, how's that for a coincidence?)

5. Well thats how his name is credited on Wyton's c.d. and thats how they had his name when I saw him live.

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    And Jeff Bollbach works on his bass....

7. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I just saw a Carlos Enriquez with Eric Reed on BetJazz. Nice playing.

8. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    He's a great player and a really, really nice guy. I had a chance to talk to him quite a bit during a festival back in May '05. What impressed me most was the huge, fat sound he was getting. At that time he was using Chorda strings, don't know what he does now.

9. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    The BetJazz show I just saw had a 1998 copyright on it so it's been some time.

10. I believe they're still Chordas...unwrapped D & G... and that was just a few mos ago. You are right about the sound. Even tho I wasn't there you can still hear that bottom come thru.

gomez

11. Geeibish

Geeibish

Jan 30, 2006
    Clemson, SC
    I've had the chance to see Carlos play twice; once with the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra in February of 2003 and with Wynton's quintet in May of 2005. I also got to talk to him each time, and must say that he his an incredibly nice person. The first time I met him, he talked to me for half an hour and he didn't know me from Adam. I'll never forget what he told me when I asked him how to make it in jazz; he said, "It's who you know, how good you play, and what gigs you get. And that's it." Very insightful and painfully true.

Last time I saw him, he was playing with gut strings (not sure what kind) with just a mike on the bass, and he also always sings his solos just like Slam Stewart.

12. Just like politicians...except the how good you are part has nothing to do with them. :rolleyes:

gomez

13. Chip Boaz

Chip Boaz

Apr 23, 2004
    Can anybody recommend some good recordings that feature him?

14. He's on Wynton's "The Magic Hour" , which I like. If you go to Tower Records' website and search under his name, a bunch of recordings pop-up, from J@LC, India, Tito Puente, etc..

search under 'Henriquez' which is the actual spelling.

gomez