Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carlos from the band Interpol

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by pil101, Dec 24, 2002.

1. pil101

pil101

Jul 8, 2000
    anyone heard of interpol? he has a very unique technique. their debut cd doesnt do him justice until you see them live

2. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Not on this board, kid. This is the land of Victor Wooten and Les Claypool. Until Interpol is featured in Bass Wanker magazine, you won't see Carlos discussed here. I like 'em, though. Once they get past the huge weight of their influences (sound an awful lot like Joy Division to me, but it seems like everyone who hears them rattles off a list of who they sound like), they might be the one of the hyped NYC bands that has a real impact. They write good tunes and that matters a lot more than the skinny ties.

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I really like their latest album, as a whole. For the bass playing, my ear first noticed those little chromatic walk-ups that he's kinda fond of :) I thought they were great in the context of those songs once in a while. I was appreciating some of his other lines lately though, interesting stuff.

To me, world's second-biggest Joy Division fan, I think it's funny that everybody says they sound like them. I mean, there's some similarity, but there's enough different that I don't immediately think "oh, this sounds like Joy Division". Early Dead Can Dance, some Siouxsie, early Toyah, sounds like Joy Division to me. . . :)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing more from them. Oh, and I haven't seen them live, but I heard that the bass player kept making "rock and roll!!" faces through the whole show.

4. pil101

pil101

Jul 8, 2000
    so, so true. i am so sick of hearing about wooten, jamerson, clarke, jaco etc. i do really appreciate these guys (and own a few cds) but i just wish some other non-jazz, less known players would get more recognition. music appreciation can be so narrowminded.

erik

5. ahpook

ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    interpol are playing near me in january - a friend of mine has recommended i go see them.

what kind of style does he use ?

peter hook was quite big on chords.....

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    From what I hear he's more conventional than Hook was/is - sounds like he uses a pick, with a mellow-Stingray sound (fat low end, not boomy).

Hook didn't play chords that often really. He did use a lot of open-string drones though. :)

7. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I love Peter Hook's bass playing. In the film "24 hour party people" there's a scene where Joy Division is trying to record an early single, and Hooky is zooming around up high. The producer says over the talkback "great bass.. no fabulous, it looks really good hanging around your neck like that, wonderful. Now do you think you could actually play some proper bass?"

8. ahpook

ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    hey - string drones count as chords....well diads anyway.

i'll have not a word said against peter hook.

he was a major influence on my bass playing when i started out

:D

9. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I've been too lazy to buy the Interpol cd. I have some mp3 files and my friends own it. Gotta get off my butt and snag that sucker!:D

10. pil101

pil101

Jul 8, 2000
    he uses a fender american jazz tuned drop d. his amp live, is an ampeg 4x10 and an ampeg svt-400 head. uses a pick

11. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I just heard Interpol's album for the first time. Great basslines!

12. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Thanks. That makes more sense than a Stingray now that I think about it.

(got At the Drive-In on the headpones - never any doubt when it's a Stingray!)

13. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    When I heard Interpol on MTV2 they jumped out at me in a way that most bands don't these days. I want to be careful not to overhype here. ..they do show influences of early-mid eighties college radio, definitely. I love that the bass is very outfront in the mix without being obnoxious.

I like 'em!

fremenblue

14. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I picked it up at the Virgin Megastore in Vancouver, BC and it's soo good. Plus it only ended up being about $10 USD :)

15. will16

will16

Aug 30, 2003
    hey hows it going?
    just wondering what your opinions are of the bass player for interpol?
    Personally I think he is a pretty damn good bassist and I'm surprised he is not mentioned around here..
    I love the way he messes around with octaves and his basslines really add a lot to the songs

16. bol weevil

bol weevil

May 14, 2004
    Not only is his playing technically very amazing, melodic and bloody hard to play, as well as having its own style, hes a great performer!

[edited for language]

17. bol weevil

bol weevil

May 14, 2004
    Thats just lazy journalism and people trying to be pretentious. The only similairty is the slightly monotone vocals. bloody hell.

18. will16

will16

Aug 30, 2003
    damn straight! new album out soon I hear.. excellent!

19. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    this is a little late. But that CD is awsome...My Gf let me borrow it and lets just say she's not getting it back. I need to see them in concert.