Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carlsbro amplification

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Vorago, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Last night I had musical class and I noticed a new bass-amp...brand: Carlsbro..Now I know the beer; Carlsbrew (way overpriced btw ;)) but what the .... is Carlsbro amplification??? I never heard of it, didn't look familiar. It had gain, bass, middle, treble, volume control, a mid-shift (which did squat), 1 input and 2 external-aux inputs. Sound was rather poor, not a lot of control, the mid-shift wasn't wired imo and the input was almost dead. It must be an old model because I can't find it on the site.

Any opinions?

2. I saw your post and got curious, so I did a search on Google and found their website. It looks like they have brand new products, but they must have been around a long time before because their site says"back like they were before" or something like that. Anyway, they seem to be a current company. Hope that helps. Here's the website address.
    www.carlsbro.com/home.htm

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

FWIW - I still have a couple of English gear mags from the early 70's with Carlsboro ads. (If I had a scanner, I'd put up an image for you).

I never played through one but I know they weren't junk and made stacks to compete with Marshalls. The were in the same league as the original Orange amps but had the same reliability issues because US and European gear had power issues at that time.

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I've played through a few of them in my time; as I recall, they've always been fairly solid if somewhat unremarkable. I can't recall ever hearing anyone getting excited about producing a great tone from a Carlsboro bass amp but they get the job done and, AFAIK, aren't too pricey.

Wulf

5. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Ive played through two of the combos at stores (the Bomber and the Boomer I think) and Ive come up with a simple equation to help with this thread.

New Calrsbro = English version of Peavey.

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I did think about making that comparison but I wasn't sure how much carlsboro deal internationally. Peavey do a lot of things right (cheap, solid, dependable) so it's actually quite a flattering comparison.

Wulf

7. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Indeed it is.

I was thinking in terms of solid, reliable gear, but also a slightly 'bland' and unremarkable tone.

I like Peavey, a lot.