carlsbro stingray

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Jun 3, 2001.

1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    heres the ad i found

bass amp. carlsbro stingray 150 amp head. 150 watts, graphic equaliser and compressor. 2x12 inch speaker cabinet 150 watts. sold together for £195

is that good, and what is compression?

2. I had a carlsbro stingray and 2x12 about 22 years ago. That'S about what I paid then. I don't know what the new Carlsbros are like, but the old ones were OK but basic.

3. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    so do u think its worth the money? I need a louder amp, im in a punk rock heavy distortion band. and I will be gettin a distortion pedal. would i be better looking for something else?

4. Dunno. What's the new price on a Carlsbro these days in UK? From where I am, in Turkey, the price is good. I was playing Genesis covers in 1980 (!!), so not a good comparison.

5. I had a Carlsbro Stingray 150 watt bass head 20 years ago. All I can remember is that it was quite loud for a 150 watt rating. Good bottom end for a cheap amp. I used it with an old Peavey 2x15 rated at 4 ohms. The amp got so hot that you could burn your hand on the heat sink. I didn't get any problems with it though.

£195 seems a bit much for the amp and cab. I'd try to get just the amp. A 4x10 would be better than the 2x12 for punk (IMHO). I've seen stingrays for less than £100 used.