Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

carlsbro stingray

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Jun 3, 2001.

1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    heres the ad i found

bass amp. carlsbro stingray 150 amp head. 150 watts, graphic equaliser and compressor. 2x12 inch speaker cabinet 150 watts. sold together for £195

is that good, and what is compression?

2. I had a carlsbro stingray and 2x12 about 22 years ago. That'S about what I paid then. I don't know what the new Carlsbros are like, but the old ones were OK but basic.

3. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    so do u think its worth the money? I need a louder amp, im in a punk rock heavy distortion band. and I will be gettin a distortion pedal. would i be better looking for something else?

4. Dunno. What's the new price on a Carlsbro these days in UK? From where I am, in Turkey, the price is good. I was playing Genesis covers in 1980 (!!), so not a good comparison.

5. I had a Carlsbro Stingray 150 watt bass head 20 years ago. All I can remember is that it was quite loud for a 150 watt rating. Good bottom end for a cheap amp. I used it with an old Peavey 2x15 rated at 4 ohms. The amp got so hot that you could burn your hand on the heat sink. I didn't get any problems with it though.

£195 seems a bit much for the amp and cab. I'd try to get just the amp. A 4x10 would be better than the 2x12 for punk (IMHO). I've seen stingrays for less than £100 used.