Carlsons Rosin Glazing over

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by PeteF, Aug 10, 2004.

1. PeteF

Jul 21, 2004
    Hey everyone,
    I just picked up some carlsons rosin because my store ran out of kolstiens ultra. This morning when i went to play i noticed the bow had glazed over. I wonderd if anyone else had noticed this as well.
  2. Do you mean that each time you go to bow, the bow skids across the strings, as if you had never put any rosin on it, even though you had adequately rosined up the day before?

I have noticed that on my daughters bow, using Nyman's, but never on mine using Kolstien's All Weather. Both of us have decent quality wood bows with real horsehair.

I find that you need to use extra pressure for a while, and long fast strokes, to warm the rosin up, then it seems to play more normally. Though I still feel you need to aply the Nyman's more frequently than the Kolstien's.
  3. I use carlson, and sometimes if the weather is cold or I haven't used the cake for a while it will be kind of hard and glazed. I usually just hold it in my hand for a while, or stick it in my pocket to warm it up. Also, every couple months or so I'll take a lighter and melt the top surface to smooth out any grooves or chips and sort of rejuvenate the top layer.
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Same as I do. Carlsson's is great IMO, but what I have to compare it to is limited.
  5. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Or do you mean that all the hair are stuck together, like if you had applied a certain amount of rosin that softened and cross-linked the threads. This happened to me in my first month of rosin applying practice, with Pops. You don't play that much arco when you're a roockie, so you should refrain from applying rosin too often...
  6. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Gah, just don't be a clutz and drop the hot melted cake on the sink which then proceeds to bounce on the carpet and make sappy spots that are hard to get out, like me.

If you do, at least have a landlord doesn't care about the carpet cuz there's a nice 1.5" hole worn in by the last tenant. :D