1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carol Kaye Books

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by thatotherguy, Apr 30, 2010.

1. thatotherguy

thatotherguy

Jun 16, 2009
    Just want to know if anyone has used any of her books/DVDs - I was looking specifically at the Jazz Bass Book & Bass Improvisation book and possibly the DVD on Soloing that she has also...

2. funkybass

funkybass

Oct 19, 2006
    Indiana
    I actually have alll her books and DVDs. They are all good, but you'll have to know how to read to use them. They are also priced pretty cheap so you really can't lose.

3. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    I ordered some - they smell like lemon.

I have the utmost respect for Carol, but she also scares me a little.

4. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    These were my first books back in the early 1970's. I recently bought all of her books and materials. Its worth getting. :cool:

5. PaulNYC

PaulNYC

Apr 2, 2009
    New York, NY
    i got paid for a gig once.
    I recommend you email her, and she'll tell you which books would serve your needs. She's very responsive. Her picks are great.

Paul

6. Yep, have em all - Love em all!!!

-PE

7. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    I found her instruction materials to be very useful, she has some very good approaches that can be used in many ways. The recordings of the Standards are a little unusual, but the information is good. The price is reasonable and Carol is great about answering questions or clarifying things for you.

And all of my books I ordered arrived smelling like lemon - really. Not a problem but I found it to be unusual, mildly pleasant and kind of amusing.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    carol wrote the first good bass method books. while the books i ordered didn't smell like lemon, she can be pretty scary. but her books are great.

9. Sgt. Rock

Sgt. Rock

Apr 10, 2010
    Carol is a living legend, for real. Getting to take a clinic and hang with her was a high-point of my earlier years playing. Her teaching methods are top-notch, and she is a monster performer.

Don't expect feel-good, gimmicky teaching, expect hard-core study material that will make you a better musician if you commit to it. You won't be dissappointed!

10. i still have the ones i bought used in the early seventies,and thats what i used to learn to read....original cover price...$2.50

11. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    + 1.

A lot of great information to be got on her site also. :)

12. Billnc

Billnc

Aug 6, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Looks like she hasn't adjusted for inflation! lots of the books are 3.36 just ordered a few to look at.

13. i have how to play the electric bass,1969,and electric bass lines 2,1970,with hikky burr by bill cosby

14. THand

THand

Jun 9, 2008
    All money I have spent on her materials, has been well spent.
    If you don't know what to buy first, join her forum and start reading. She has a certain order she thinks you should go in,which isn't always clear from the website. Or just email her and ask. She will answer you, usually very quickly.

15. joinercape

joinercape Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2007
    All Carol's stuff is top notch, she is always quick to respond, very no nonsense, but supportive of those who work at it. And her prices are way too cheap for what you get. You can't go wrong.

16. Billnc

Billnc

Aug 6, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    She must be 'beating the bootleggers' it would be more expensive to copy her stuff than outright buy it.

The free info she gives you when you order is top notch too. She seems to care and be passionate about everything she does.

17. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've got pretty well everything for bass from her and a couple for guitar. It's great stuff. It's the REAL music theory. It really turned my playing around.

You certainly can't just glance through it, pick up a couple licks and expect to get to a better musician. You have to really dig in and do it. But if you do you'll come out of it with a real understanding of music theory and the ability to play just about anything you desire.

If you can devote as little as an hour a day to practicing what she teaches you'll notice results quickly.

Carol is great about answering questions and keeping you going. She really does care about all of her students.

Email her and ask what books/DVDs to get for yourself. Tell her where you're at now on bass and she'll recommend what to get and in what order. Fast service and great prices.

18. bassandbeyond

bassandbeyond

Aug 28, 2004
    Rockville MD
    Affiliated with Tune Guitar Maniac
    I have all the books, too, and I've studied with Carol. The content is indeed excellent, though you should be warned that the text is sometimes rather confusing. IMO, Carol's a great teacher who could use a good editor! It might benefit you more to work through her improv method with the guidance of a good teacher. Good luck.

19. funkybass

funkybass

Oct 19, 2006
    Indiana
    For those who have used her books I have a question. She is very much against scales. In her books she says that for major chords you mainly use the r 5&6 , minor and 7th chords mainly r 5 b7 to create basslines, that she says all musicians in the 50's and 60's used., but there is a lot more going on o. Those records than those basic tones, so what is her theory to create lines using other notes? I asked carol this very question on her forum a few years ago and she got mad and banned me from her forum.

20. thatotherguy

thatotherguy

Jun 16, 2009
    cool, i think i'll buy some with my next pay.