Carol Kaye gives Gene Simmons a bass lesson

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Rev J, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.

Oh the irony.

C/S,
    Rev J

2. viribus

viribus Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    It's amusing no matter how many times it gets posted. :D

BlueAliceOasis and lowdownthump like this.
  3. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Sorry I'm new to the party.

C/S,
    Rev J

4. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

The search feature seems to be an under-used function:

upload_2017-8-26_23-5-21.png

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    EatS1stBassist likes this.
  5. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I just watched The Wrecking Crew, spurred by the death of Glen Campbell. Carol is just amazing. Such a legend. If you haven't seen it, go run and see it on Netflix.

MartinzeBassman, SJan3 and viribus like this.
  6. I get the impression that Carol resents that movie (I want to see it). She goes to great trouble make it clear she was a studio musician, and there were a pool of studio musicians who were part of that era.

7. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    USA
    I'm sure Carol Kaye could give a lot of people bass lessons.

8. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Really what made it funny to me is that Gene Simmons has made macho disparaging comments about female bassists in the past and here he is being schooled by one.

C/S,
    Rev J

EatS1stBassist, Loring, SJan3 and 4 others like this.
  9. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I haven't heard this. I can't imagine that she would resent the movie as she is presented in such a positive light. She was one of the biggest stars, got paid very well, and was respected greatly by everyone. She said loved being a studio musician as it allowed her to go home every night to be with her family.

EatS1stBassist, SJan3 and Gazman like this.
  10. I think she doesn't want to be singled out, and that the pay for everyone per session was equal, regardless of instrument, gender, colour, etc.

11. veryvery

veryvery

May 23, 2016
    CA
    Too late, I'd say.

12. rickdog

rickdog Gold Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2010
    What's too late... Carol Kaye not wanting to be singled out... or Gene Simmons's bass lesson?

:roflmao:

13. veryvery

veryvery

May 23, 2016
    CA
    Gene Simmons' bass lesson.

I have nothing but respect for Carol Kaye.

14. Yes, a real shame. With proper schooling he probably coulda made something of himself someday.

15. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    The thing is that Simmons got where he is by being a "Rock Star" not a "Bassist". Not to sound like a snob but in about 90% of Kiss' music (and I am being generous here) you could mute the bass line and nothing would be lost. To me Simmons is like Nikki Sixx in the way that both are primarily rock stars/songwriters and the bass is more like an after thought or prop.

C/S,
    Rev J

Loring likes this.
  16. mrufino1

mrufino1

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    She absolutely resents the movie, she says they were lied to and it was edited to change the context of what was said. I remember her posting a lot about that on Facebook back when I was on it. I'm not sure why though, I didn't think it was negative at all.

17. FunkyD

FunkyD Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2011
    NJ, USA
    I refuse to watch that video for fear that Gene will sue me for 'usage' or some other nonsense.

EatS1stBassist, Loring, GregC and 2 others like this.
  18. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    I'm surprised he didn't look at the camera and plug some type of Kiss item. Like looking at Carol Kaye and saying, "You know you are getting up there. Wouldn't you love to be laid to rest in a Kiss Coffin?" Or "What type of APR are you getting on your current credit card? I can sign you up today with a Kiss Master Card with 0% APR for 18 months."

C/S,
    Rev J

19. lowend1

lowend1

Feb 15, 2005
    I think you're way off base here - pun intended. There's 40+ years of Kiss music and in 90% of it the bass line is a throwaway? What criteria are you using to determine this? It sounds suspiciously like you're discounting anything where the guitar and bass are doing essentially the same thing. In that case, your issue is not with Kiss, but with a lot of other rock music as well. Joe Osborn once said that "The song will tell you what to play, if you listen" Are you saying that in that 90% there is a "better" bass line, lurking, somewhere, waiting to be played - and that Gene missed it? Or that somebody else would have done it better? Care to cite some, or even a couple, specific examples?
    Gene has always maintained that he is an entertainer first, so you're not breaking any ground there, but that does not preclude him from playing what is right for the song.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 20, 2022