1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carol Kaye on XM today

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by sutmo, Mar 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sutmo

sutmo

Feb 18, 2009
    Bob Edwards interviewed Carol Kaye this morning on NPR, channel 133 on XM radio. The show will be broadcast again today at 4:00 Eastern time. It was really good. She's got her bass with her and is still sharp as a tack. I didn't realize she played on so many recordings.

-Don

2. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    She doesn't get the credit she deserves.

3. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    And she takes credits she doesn't deserve, if I understand some of the criticisms raised against her correctly.

4. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    wow, it only took two posts. :rollno:

5. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    For the record: I have no particular opinion of my own. It just made a neat turn of words. Sorry the :smug: was missing.

6. jmattis

jmattis Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Washington DC
    She's old and has played on thousands of records. She's entitled to not remember correctly every once in a while. :bag:

7. BassLand

BassLand

Mar 20, 2000
    Lost Angeles
    We'll see how many of her false Motown claims (song titles) show up in this interview

8. david fitch

david fitch

Feb 20, 2007
    I was a member of Carol Kaye's forum on her website and asked her about her "Motown Recordings" and she banned me from her forum, I thought it was funny. I have a number of recordings she did for Motown L.A. and her sound is so different from the real Motown out of Detriot with Jamerson on Bass. I guess she doesn't like people to question or challenge her on her Motown claims.

9. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008

10. BassLand

BassLand

Mar 20, 2000
    Lost Angeles
    Hey Mr. Mig,

Outside of the titles that are assuredly not correct I would be interested in see the titles that you believe are her Motown Recordings. All I have ever been able to verify with any certainty are "What Are You Gonna Do When I'm Gone" By Brenda Holloway and a song called "Sand Castles" by Stevie Wonder (a far cry from "Bernadette", 4 Tops and I Was Made To Love Her, Stevie Wonder for sure)

11. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    And, here goes the tired and old argument once again. I am snoozing out and probably most of this site is groaning as well. As far as I am concerned, there are valid points on both sides and both Jamerson and Kaye have much to offer in the development of the electric bass and bass styles. I would rather spend time thinking of what gratitude I have for both of these fine players and their contributions instead of spewing all this over regurgitated stuff once again. Go do a search if you want to read all about it and read it on other threads. Its all there. I thought some progress had been made in understanding both sides, but this thread is going downhill fast.

As far as the point of the original post and poster, I think it is great that Carol was interviewed on XM radio today. I do not get this radio service, but I cannot but help admire her endurance in continuing to share her experiences with others in the media and letting a newer generation be aware of her contributions to the bass world and Carol certainly deserves our respect. If you do not like the personality, so be it, at least respect her playing.

12. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    +1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.