Carol Kaye: The Beach Girl Behind the Beach Boys

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by silvertone, Apr 26, 2016.

1. silvertone

silvertone

Nov 6, 2007
    SF, CA
  2. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Very good article.

lowdownthump and silvertone like this.
  3. mrufino1

mrufino1

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    That was really good, there are a few things that I've not read about her before. It definitely shines a light onto some of the ways she presents herself these days- that's quite a painful past.

4. Bass Growler

Bass Growler

Jul 10, 2015
    Holland
    Good reading. It makes me want to invest in some of her books or DVD's.

5. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Very cool - thanks for sharing!

6. viribus

viribus Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    Good find. The writer put some effort into that and didn't just go for low-hanging fruit.

lowdownthump likes this.
  7. Jay Corwin

Jay Corwin Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    She comes off a bit elitist in interviews and such, but can you blame her? That Wrecking Crew doc is a good watch.

BadExample and portpc like this.
  8. LadyLoveStingRay5

LadyLoveStingRay5

Jul 17, 2004
    Thank you for sharing. Great read.

9. billgoodwin

billgoodwin

Mar 28, 2011
    Roanoke,VA
    neato article. a real legend imo.

nixdad likes this.
  10. I'm sure that she had to with a lot of adversity in her life, She definitely took the road less travelled.

Watching her videos /listening to her work over the years I've always been impressed by what a tremendous ear she has, how she hears changes.
    I've tried to incorporate that into my own playing with various levels of success!

IMHO her best work was done with Hampton Hawes, This is a tremendous album:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  11. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    The Wrecking Crew doc is pretty good. My history of R&R instructor did say one of the musicians claimed on social media to be misrepresented. It may well have been Carol. I remembered the name right off because I struggle with name recall and recognition (dyslexia). The doc is on netflix and I highly recommend it to anyone interested in this era of music. The class is great too... Offered about everywhere. Or just get a used past edition of the book forr $5 if you self study.

nixdad likes this.
  12. mrufino1

mrufino1

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    That album looks great, I had no idea she was on a rekkid with Richard Simmons and Jerry Jemmott!

portpc likes this.
  13. LOL!! Hampton Hawes was an incredible pianist, I believe Spider Webb (J Jemmott) was CK's husband at the time..

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 20, 2022