Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carol Kaye's version of Rodrigo's Concierto de Arjunez

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Stingus, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Just wondering if anyone has ever heard or tried to transcribe Carol's version of Rodrigo's Concierto de Arunjez? There is an excerpt here, the full version is on a tape/cd she sends out with her instructional materials. It's been very inspiring to me, and I'm thinking of taking a shot at it myself, but thought I would ask if anyone else had heard it or transcribed it first.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Is it any different to the original? Jim Hall did a good Jazz version as well...

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Hmmm. I admire the technique, but I'm not exactly digging on her vintage sound.

If there's any piece which requires a superbright modern Marcus tone, this is it.

4. If memory serves me, it was recorded on a Music Man as part of a promotional record in the middle '70's. To me it is probably one of the coolest bass solos I've ever heard, and definitely sold me on flatwound strings!

There is also a bass solo on her "Bass Performances" CD which she claims was the first time an electric bass was featured as a solo instrument in a symphony orchestra. It is like this one, not a blurring notefest, but some pretty cool harmonic and melodic choices.

L

5. Not impressed.

(Don't get me wrong... it's a great tune, but I don't like her interpretation..... it doesn't sound right.)