1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carol of the Bells (recording)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by ElectroVibe, Nov 8, 2018.

1. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Is anyone familiar with an instrumental version of "Carol of the Bells" which is kind of popular on the radio around the holidays, and may have been recorded fairly recently?

Here is what I know about it:
    1. Features an acoustic guitar section at one point, with sort of a flamenco style.
    2. It is NOT Trans-Siberian Orchestra
    3. It is NOT David Foster's version from the 1993 TV special.

I actually love both of those popular versions, and it is in a similar orchestral style to those.

2. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I usually perform this version on piano around the holidays:

ElectroVibe likes this.
  3. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    I love George Winston's version.

4. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    I'm pretty sure I prefer it on handbells. Just handbells.

One of the things I miss about playing those, but the situation deteriorated and there were better uses for the time.

5. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Here is another version, Crowder stops yapping and starts playing at about 1:20 in.

6. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Karen Carpenter has a version on her holiday album. It's an instrumental so she doesn't sing, but I believe she played drums on the recording (she was a very talented drummer).

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  7. sunnyboy010101

sunnyboy010101

Sep 19, 2013
    I like the "Celtic Women" version, with the violin solo (celtic style) in the middle. But on the other hand, Trans-Siberian does rock!

8. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    This Windham Hill version has nice bass work by Michael Manring (I believe):

JimK likes this.
  9. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    David Crowder. He and his band must be huge fans of Trans-Siberian Orchestra because they were mainly doing a faithful rendition.

Windham Hill, Winter Solstice 4. Beautiful. I don't think I've heard it before now.

MonetBass likes this.
  10. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    I think I am just going to have to listen to a Christmas only station on my Walkman and keep the link to the station's website playlist on my phone.

11. sunnyboy010101

sunnyboy010101

Sep 19, 2013
    I gave up on Christmas only stations because I can only take "Jingle Bell Rock" and "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" about once per decade, if that. Sadly, it's a staple on most radio around here.

12. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Then again, hearing the Bing and Bowie version, or the Hendrix Christmas medley version, of "Little Drummer Boy" almost makes up for pewpie like "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer".

13. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Very true. I have to literally turn it down when an overplayed song comes on. Or even just one that I really like. I don't want a favorite to turn into an un-favorite if you know what I mean.

14. sunnyboy010101

sunnyboy010101

Sep 19, 2013
    During the Christmas season (which starts Dec 1 for us by personal preference), we love to put the "Fireplace Channel" on the TV. It is best, however, with the sound OFF. Far too much of the pop-xmas stuff and almost zero carols. Probably the worst is when some modern rap/pop/hiphop/??? "artiste" decides to do an x-mas album. Almost always guaranteed to be 100% dreck.

(disclaimer: I only use the term 'x-mas' to denote stuff that has everything to do with either pop culture or commercial crap. Otherwise it's Christmas.)

FilterFunk likes this.
  15. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Ellicott City, MD
    Endorsing: Spector Bass Guitars

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'll take both of those over "Last Christmas"....
    :)

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I actually have that...IIRC, it was because of Manring & Billy Childs.

MonetBass likes this.
  18. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    ^I like this...I may start using it in this context.:thumbsup:

19. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    By the way, I think that John Tesh's version is the recording I was looking for.

20. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis