Carole King's bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I was listening to this mp3 of her singing Jazzman, and then my Winamp finished it and went onto the next song...also by her, something I'd never listened to -- "I Feel The Earth Move". This is a mean, mean bassline -- this a perfect how much power a bassline has over a song. It's grooving so hard, and it just gives the song this powerful sense of motion and bounce.

Who is this bass player? I must know!
  2. I don't know who the bass player is, I couldn't name another Carole King solo song, I do know it's off Tapestry though- but I can't imagine a bass player on TB that hasn't heard "I Feel The Earth Move" at some time or another. I'm not saying this to be a knob- it's like saying you've never heard the Beatle's "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" or something.
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Wow, I feel like a total dork -- I've never heard that Beatles song either.
  4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    ;) Thanks! I'll check him out.
  5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Carol was married to Charles Larkey at the time. I agree about his basslines, I thought they where great :bassist:
  6. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Tapestry is a great Pop album.
    There's some definite Motown/Jamerson things going on during "I Feel The Earth Move"(IIRC, it's when the tune moves to the "Bb" change).
    "It's Too Late" & "So Far Away" are also nicely played!

King's followup album, Music, is also very good.
  7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Might be Lee Sklar???

8. Well… here's another one! Although I must admit, I mis-read the title and thought it said Carol Kaye… and expected it to be one of those threads which pass for humour… (ooops! sorry Carole…!!) Beatles? What is Beatles?
  9. Yes, it is Charles Larkey... I just checked the liner notes. He plays either electric bass or string bass on every song on the album.
  10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Carole King's "Tapestry" was HUGE! Heavy FM rotation. Good songs so it was O.K.
  11. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Funny, Tapestry is one of my favorite albums of all time. I've said half seriously that on my tombstone I'd like the inscription "My life is a tapestry" .

I never thought of it as being an album for "essential bass listening". That said, a good bass line should make the listner say "what a great song" which is exaclty the effect of "I Feel The Earth Move" .
  12. Great playing on the whole Tapestry LP.
  13. JTE

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Not if it's the version of "I Feel The Earth Move" from "Tapestry". It's definitely Charles Larkey, formerly of the band Jo Mama (along with Danny "Kootch" Kortchmar. However I believe "Jazzman" (at least the version on "Thoroughbred") IS Leland Sklar.

Geez-- kids these days. Why back in my day we had real albums, and they had real liner notes that were big enough to read, along with artwork that was really good...

ExaltBass likes this.
  14. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    Not calling you a dork, but where you just born sometime today?
  15. jedgargroover

Jul 26, 2008
    I am a high school teacher and I have bad news for everyone: There are a whole buncha kids out there that not only have never heard the Beatles, much less Carole King, and if they have they regard them in the same way we regarded "oldies" growing up. I'm 38 and to me, doo wop and stuff like Chuck Berry was definitely oldies and when I was a kid I had no interest in it. Now I know it's great, well composed and well performed stuff (well...some of it anyway.) And I hate to sound old (as my greys multiply) but the stuff that a lot of us think of as "classic" is regarded as "obsolete" by a lot of young people. It's a drag, I know...but true. I mean...would everyone on this site recognize Basie or Mingus for that matter if they heard a recording? Probably not.
  16. ^not news. :D
    For more sweet carole King, look into Really Rosie- a kids' story/cartoon(written, IIRC, by Maurice Sendak). Example:
  17. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    I was assuming that since the OP has nearly 7,400 posts he might need to take a peak at this landmark Beatles' recording.

Furthermore, there are far more than a "whole buncha kids out there" that suffer from small minds.
  18. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Np point chastizing the OP for posts made in 2004 when
    he was 15 years old. And he hasn't posted in 9 months.
    Some reality may have set in.

The basslines discussed are timeless works of art.

And no wonder these were big hits,with an incredible
    songwriter, top notch production, all the right connections,
    the right stuff and great sidemen she blew the charts away.
  19. N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    I know some kids who have never heard of Cream or Hendrix! I was surprised at first, but hey I probably don't know most of the groups they listen to.. I know a teenager who is way into Tokio Hotel.. I had to youtube them to find out who they were...